Casting a Baitcaster

Started by topcat, January 19, 2006, 09:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcat

Hi guys I was just wondering how do you as baitcasters........increase your casting distance and accuracy...Thanks in advance for sharing....

Topcat

BigCheese

It has allot to do with the breaking system, cast controll knob, and your thumb.  When you start tighten your breaks and cast controll knob up and learn to use your thumb to apply pressure to the spool during you cast.  As you get better loosen up your breaks and knob a little at a time until you get the hang of it again.  Again once you can cast it constantly with out back lashing, loosen it a little more.  As you get better using you bait caster and you are able to keep most of the breaks off you will be supprised at how accurate you will be not to mention distance.  This takes some getting used to and won't happen overnight but once you get it down you'll be all business ;)

Ron Fogelson

I pitch most times, can fling that bait about as far as most can cast.  Also try out the role cast, its fast, easy on the body & after a bit of practice is very accurate.

Practice practice practice. 

What do you want to learn, close quarter casting or flinging a heavy bait a 1/2 mile to get into schooling activity?

Creel Limit Zero

topcat

Hi Fogy.....my casting is ok...its only when I try to cast for more distance...that I  have problems with accuracy....I can cast 138 ft and have good accuracy.....

Its when I try to get more distance..that my accuracy suffers..........I  thought maybe that there is something that I am doing......... that is causing my accuracy to suffer...thanks for your impute .....I appreciate it very much........

Topcat

Ron Fogelson

Topcat,

Try turning your reel on its side when casting hard.  I mean if you hold your reel the spool is up on top, when you go to cast hard, try turning your rod handle a1/4 turn left or right dependent on your casting hand.  What this will do is help prevent backlashes, so you can loosen up the drag a bit more for some more distance as well as let your mind feel at easy so when casting you can focus on the spot you want to hit versus thinking you might get an over run.  Not saying you do get them, but if your thinking about it, you won't be thinking 100% of bait placement.

Last thing, don't take your eye off the target.  Pick a spot you want to hit and stay on it until your bait is in the zone.  I find that when casting if I go to cast to say a spot off a cypress tree, but at the last minute I look at the bark or a tree limb, my aim is off.  How far?  Dependent on how far away I was looking.  Some times its just an inch other times I've put the lure in the tree.  :roll2:

scwildbill

Topcat... The type of baitcasting reel has ALOT to do with it too!!!.... As the saying goes... Ya get what you pay for?......

If you're using a quality reel, it'll obviously cast further than your bargain brand! Just another thought. ;)
Proud Team Member of the Palmetto Posse

OHbassaholic

I agree with eveything posted so far.  Another point I would bring up is the rod.  I find that trying to add power to the cast with your arm can often be detrimental to your accuracy.  If you are casting properly, you aren't needing to add much to the power of the cast.  Just let the rod load up for the power.  I trade up to a stiffer back-boned rod to get more distance in the cast.  So, if you are using a moderate action rod, switch up to a mod/fast or fast action rod for extra distance but keep the same "power" you are used to.  When I go from a moderate/medium to a fast/medium, I get more distance.

There's my .02 to add to the mix.

TN Tom

I try to use some of the things that i use when  i trap shoot and it works. I try to position my self the same way to the target each time  i cast. grip my rod the same, I dont try to mix up how i cast each cast, if possible. Im wading in creeks a lot and usually i'm side arm casting so I dont thow in a rollcast without thinking about it cause it'll be over a limb somewhere. I think accuracy is really a matter of finding out what works and minimize any variation. The greater the distance the increase in variables start to creep in. I find if Im going to cast a disance much greater than usual (for me) two hands help me get closer to the target and help in getting the rod loaded. practice practice practice
Tennesse Tom

LoonyToon

~c~ ~c~ I just Hang on and Sling it  ~roflmao , but carry a knitting needle with ya if you wish to do it that way  ;) Really following the recommended site given in the response Creel Limit gave should get you up and going, and I have to agree whole heartedly with my main man SCWildBill about "You get what you pay for"........There are not that very many good reels out there for  $ 29-39-49 dollars...There are Reels available that will get you by, but usually not Good ones

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

topcat

~c~.....Thanks guys fr you impute......I an see several things that I can change to help my distance and accuracy......

I am using Daiwa.....Abu Garcias..and...Shimanos and they are good
reels...I didn't pay 300.00 bucks for any of them.....

maybe I need a stiffer back-boned rod to get more distance in the cast...that makes real good sense...

I think a lot of my problem with distance and accuracy......stems from what Fogy stated.....I am trying to watch my mechanics and throw at the same time.....and I am taking my eyes off the target...and as a results I am not hitting the target,,,but every where else......in trees to ...Fogy.....

I very seldom get a backlash till I am trying to increase distance.... and be accurate at the same time.....Tom the variables do start to creeping in....

Please continue with the posting it is really helping me...need all the help I can get....Thanks guys...you are always there...this is the best board on the net for helping other anglers....looking forward to........  more  information on distance and accuracy....... :help:

Topcat

HudsonRiverRat

Get so used to casting that you don't even think about it.You just look at the spot and the lures there within a small circle 96% of the time.After you make a couple thousand casts you will get that same feeling and  you won't even think about it.Usually if I need more distance I move the boat closer but if you were shore fishing distance can be critical.
Another thing that can help with your distance is a longer rod.I like longer rods myself as they move more line and you get better leverage fighting a fish.

Ouachita

As for me, long rods get more distance, shorter rods more accuracy. For long casts and OK accuracy I like a 7' fast action rod, power matching the expected load of a fish. I prefer a two-handed long rod to reduce fatigue and put more power into a cast, and using both hands seems to orient me better for increased accuracy. I've also found that a more deliberate, smooth swing gets better distance and accuracy than a jerky cast. I cast a spinning reel combo much more jerky, snapping it more than a baitcaster. Swing follow-through is more vital with baitcasting, ending the cast with rod tip aiming at the target.

Lots of good tips above, especially keeping your eye on the target, no less than shooting trap. The cast will follow your eye.

Jim