Wacky Worm weights

Started by Jared LeBlue, July 06, 2004, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared LeBlue

Take a wire clothes hanger and cut it into small pieces. Cut it different lengths for more or less weight. It's a lot cheaper than buying the wacky worm weights and you can customize the weights to your liking.
Ardent Prostaff

SenkoSam

Great idea! ;)
In fact I'll go one step further. I'll use powder paint to coat the ends or the whole thing, to prevent the salt from rusting the metal insert.  Stik-Os need internal weighting!
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=29968&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

I use black, chartreuse and glow-in-the-dark to coat my lead heads. Just heat with a candle flame, dip fast and the hard coating will smooth to glass. One jar will coat over 200 jigs.

Sam

Jared LeBlue

Sam, the weight doesn't affect the action of the stik-os? I've often thought of weighting them down but I was afraid it would mess with the action.
Ardent Prostaff

BIG PAPA

If you will pinch a little split shot on your hook it actually increases the action. I also like to dye one end red or orange so they can see it wiggle better.
Hint: The new Yum stick bait wiggles just as well as the real Senko,and is tougher.

papa 8)

Jared LeBlue

Cool ideas, thanks. Turbo Tackle also makes a tough senko type bait.
Ardent Prostaff

SenkoSam

Rattle, if the wire isn't too long, the tip action should be fine.
Is there a site for Turbo Tackle?

Quotepinch a little split shot on your hook it actually increases the action
Will give it a try.

Sam

Jared LeBlue

To be honest I never really looke for a site. Two places down here sell them and That is Lake Charles Tackle and Academy. Of course that probably doesn't help you too much Sam. Turbo Tackle makes very tough plastic lures and they fall at about the same rate as the orginal Senkos. I'll tell you this you can catch more than one or two fish on one lure as compared to the orginals and they are cheaper. I believe they are made somewhere in Texas. I'll pull apack out of my boat tonight and give you some more information on them.
Ardent Prostaff

Rebbasser

Along those same lines wire solder is a whole lit cheaper than the lead weights sold as inserts and is easier to work with than hanger wire IMO, and for a wacky rig putting a small finishing nail in each end works pretty well. 

Jared LeBlue

Rebbasser, good idea, I can see where wire solder would be easier to work with.
Ardent Prostaff

Jared LeBlue

Sam, Turbo Tackle does have a site, it's www.turbotackle.com. You can check out all their products there.
Ardent Prostaff

OHbassaholic

These are some good ideas.  I've always just used finishing nails of various sizes/weights.  Usually, I just add to one end of the bait but have had some interesting results adding to both ends, still with more weight on one end.

bass1cpr

Papa I'm with you on the weight in the middle. Check these out . "K Wacky Hooks"  Falconlures.com   Address. 112 plainview Dr. Lafayette, La. 70508  Wide gap hooks with weed guard and weight molded on the shank.  ~shhh
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation