Rod cleaning

Started by bassindude, January 24, 2006, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassindude

Been cleaning all my reels, now I'm ready to start on my rods.  In the past, after washing any water spots and dust off I would use regular furniture polish on them. I was thinking about using a product like Armorall or Rainx anyone have any thoughts?
Jim ><///'>><///'>

Richard Cooper

I have never thought about cleaning my rods honestly, but it does sound like a good idea.  Out of the two products you mentioned, i would probably go with rainx.
Richard Cooper

Kistler Rods, Albackore Tackle Storage, Kidlizard Bait Company, Tripple Fish Lines

topcat

Hi Bassindude......I was told that to clean your rod take luke warm water and a very little soap and wash it and rinse real good......... to remove all of the soap..........

Apply a paste wax (not a liquid) to the rod and the base of the guides only.......hope this helps you........

Topcat

Warpath

I use Simple green to wipe down all my rods and to remove all the dirt and debris.  I then go back and wipe down the rod and the guides with Reel Magic.   Really makes the rod shine...

Eric

Javelin 409

don't want to forget the q-tip in the eyelets, tells/shows you if you have any rough edges that will mess up your line.

Pferox

If I tried to clean my rods right now I would need a chisel and hammer to get all the catfishin gunk off of em.  ~fl

I do clean off my bass and salt water rods though, I usually rinse em down with the hose after each trip, and pick off the grass that will get stuck in the guides while I'm usin em, and they stay in pretty good shape.

I don't clean the cork handles unless they are sticky or somethin like that, I don't really like the feel of slick clean handles.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

conniek

here is what we do. Use simple green and hot water. take rag and scrub  the  handle cork to get finger grease and oil off.. sometimes it takes a lot of elbow grease. then I take cotton swab and clean the reel seat and use an old toothbrush to really scrup in all the grooves. then i take a cotton swab and check all the guides and clean out around and in the guide frames as well. then i scrub the rod and then dry with dry cloth and then apply a tad bit of oil to rod, we also check the tip to see if good and tight.
some folks use pledge and i've heard of armour all on rod. When we are all done, i take a piece of saran wrap and wrap the handle., Looks good and keeps rod handle nice and clean for a little while.,
conniek-Gycb Pro Staff,Ask about our maint. video and training school- SEE US IN DEC ISSUE BASSMASTER

slappy

sand paper on the cork works wonders!

LoonyToon

I have found that Bleach-White sprayed on the cork handles cleans them as new and rinse real good...(I use a little vinegar and water mixture to rinse them off and towel dry)....Simple Green/ Mean Green on the rods and rinse them with the same mixture, do the Q-Tip thing on the eye-lets and then I use Reel Majic on a lint free cloth and wipe them down from the tip to the handles------------------Works for Me ~c~ ~c~ ------------

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

burkp

~c~ ~c~Great idea with the Q-tips, I had not thought of that one

nnola17

try using rubbing alcohol on the cork handles it works great.

Pferox

Quote from: nnola17 on February 03, 2006, 12:54:23 PM
try using rubbing alcohol on the cork handles it works great.

Don't ya have to oil em or something after that, alchohol has a tendency to dry out stuff......just askin.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

LoonyToon

Not so much on the cork handles used today as they are treated and not as pourous as the oldies/but/goodies.........some are even synthentic, which I find hard to believe  lo lo lo right! I don't think I'd use that combo-alcohol etc on my reels though, maybe something else--- :-* a repair shop to have my yearly maintenance done on them

Keep the Rod Tip up and the Hook Sharp

nnola17

yeah the alcohol didnt dry mine out at all and they look like brand new.

Pferox

Good to hear nnola, I was leary of the alchahol, but will look into that next time.  :-*