Specs

Started by Sixpack, November 22, 2015, 05:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixpack

The Specs are running hard and fast on the lakes off of the St. Johns river here in central Fla. We boated 75 the first day and another 42 on the second day. Best eating fresh water fish there is, IMHO...

[attachment outdated - deleted by admin]
Triton TR-22 DC Pro, 2005, 225 Evinrude HO/DI, two 8' Power Pole Blades on the back, Minn Kota 36v 101# on the bow.

Lipripper

Them are some nice looking Craopie and I agree

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pferox

Nice fish!  I miss those days.  We used to catch specs where some were as long as a 5 gallon bucket is high in Polk County.  I can taste them now.  Yummm.

Have you noticed that some lakes will produce larger fish for a year or two then they will get small, while another lake will have the big ones?  We ran into that our way, I think it has to do with the fishing pressure on the lake that is producing.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

coldfront

Quote from: Pferox on November 23, 2015, 09:16:02 AM
Nice fish!  I miss those days.  We used to catch specs where some were as long as a 5 gallon bucket is high in Polk County.  I can taste them now.  Yummm.

Have you noticed that some lakes will produce larger fish for a year or two then they will get small, while another lake will have the big ones?  We ran into that our way, I think it has to do with the fishing pressure on the lake that is producing.

typically some of it is fishing pressure.. most times it has to do with spawning/growing conditions for a particular year class of fish.  Crappie are notorious for this.

MissouriFishin

I'm not familiar with the term "specs" referring to crappie. Is it specifically black crappie?

Pferox

Quote from: MissouriFishin on November 23, 2015, 10:02:40 AM
I'm not familiar with the term "specs" referring to crappie. Is it specifically black crappie?

In Florida, we called crappie speckled perch, as far as I know black crappie are the abundant species, don't remember catching anything else either.

The "Perch" thing seems to be kind of popular in Florida, Crappie are Speckled Perch, and Tilapia are Nile Perch.  Maybe because I don't remember seeing actual perch there, but it has been a while ago.

Some of the guys still living there may be able to help out a little better.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Lipripper

They are called by diffrent names just depending on where your at but it's still a Crappie  ;D

Other names for crappie are papermouths, strawberry bass, speckled bass or specks (especially in Michigan), speckled perch, calico bass (throughout New England),[3] sac-a-lait (in southern Louisiana,

Pferox

Don't matter what you call em, I call em GOOD EATIN"!

Lipripper

Quote from: Pferox on November 23, 2015, 10:55:43 AM
Don't matter what you call em, I call em GOOD EATIN"!
Me too I'm going to have to break some out of the freezer and fry them up real soon. I think I can gum them if the breading isn't to hard. ~roflmao ~roflmao

MissouriFishin

Thanks for the explanations guys. And crappie certainly are good eating. I had heard papermouth and even sac-a-lait (just happened to run into a cajun guy here in MO while we were both crappie fishing) but specs was a new one to me. I could have sworn I've actually heard that term used in regards to some other kind of fish. Speckled trout perhaps??

flowerjohn

Black crappie are abundant in our northern waters and some see them as a threat to bass and pickerel since black crappie feed voraciously on all fry. We are encouraged to keep some in an attempt to cut their numbers. Crappie along with pickerel are the best tasting freshwater fish IMO. Up here crappie are nicknamed 'slabs' since they yield a beautiful slab of thick meat along the top of the fillet. We catch them, we clean them and we eat them. Cheers. J.

Pferox

If you are by the coast some people use Specs or Spots to relate to spotted sea trout (the more common name).  Which isn't a trout at all, it is in the drum family, go figure.

flowerjohn

Quote from: MissouriFishin on November 23, 2015, 12:29:36 PM
Thanks for the explanations guys. And crappie certainly are good eating. I had heard papermouth and even sac-a-lait (just happened to run into a cajun guy here in MO while we were both crappie fishing) but specs was a new one to me. I could have sworn I've actually heard that term used in regards to some other kind of fish. Speckled trout perhaps??

Missouri we call speckled trout specks. Also quite high on the delicious list of freshwater species. They taste great cold smoked.  J.

Pferox

Around here, our saltwater trout is called a sand trout.  Tastes a lot like a rainbow. 

My wife is from Montana, her and her dad fished rainbows and browns, I think she said, after having those sand trout, she got home sick.

Our Trout don't seem to freeze well unless you keep them submerged in water, so we usually eat the trout first, and the other fish later on.

Sixpack

Call them what you will, depending on where you happen to be standing. I think all will agree that they are some good eating...
Triton TR-22 DC Pro, 2005, 225 Evinrude HO/DI, two 8' Power Pole Blades on the back, Minn Kota 36v 101# on the bow.

jonboy

Its a white perch here in south Alabama :)
ROLL TIDE!!!
The only thing more depressing than not catching fish is not being able to go

Wizard

I always heard them called Specs in S. Missouri/N. Arkansas growing up. The guys that fished for them were called "perch jerkers". Now, people tend to call them crappie and I haven't heard anyone use Specs in a long time. All small sunfish of any species were called "perch" when I was a kid.

Yankee fan

Quote from: Sixpack on November 25, 2015, 03:51:26 PM
Call them what you will, depending on where you happen to be standing. I think all will agree that they are some good eating...
Beresford and Woodruff are usually good after the water cools off. Don't know about Woodruff this year as they sprayed it to death. Last April there was not a weed to be found there. 

jocko

We usually hit Dexter.

My Dad had a place in Astor and the specks were hot now thru February.  Big ones. 

Good cooler full!  Mighty tasty.

topwaterfanatic

Thank you for posting this! I like fishing for Specs as well, might go soon with this great weather we are having.
December 2015 Florida Bragging Rights 1st Place Winner (103.5'' 5 bass total). Top 5 Bass I caught in April 2016=117.5'' combined length.
Onward