TR186 Transducer(s)

Started by tablerocktriton, July 15, 2016, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tablerocktriton

Let me say this now, i'm a Proud Newbie.... 

Boat has the 325c Lowrance 5" in the dash now... i just bought a Hook 5 to replace.   I don't want anything too fancy right off(structure scan etc..) just new maps and a basic sonar/scanner....

I noticed the factory Lowrance units don't have a transom mounted transducer... must me inside somewhere.... 

I am not too keen on drilling into the boat but I can, if it's the right thing to do.   I bought the hook 5 with a skimmer type transducer...  I don't run a jack plate.

Question 1, can i run the old transducer with the new unit?  If so, i understand dsi will not work, just curious.

Question 2.  Where in the sam Houston is the factory transducer? (granted, its dark and I haven't untarped the boat yet)...

Question 3.  Can the skimmer transducer be epoxy mounted? , if no...Question 4

Question 4... where do I mount the thing... down by the mesh cap and drain or fabricate something?

Question 5...  Are all fish finder websites so damn vague?  I'm a systems engineer and can follow directions...but why is it so hard to find good credible information?

Question 6... Do i need a different transducer to thru-hull mount? 

Quesiton 7?  Am i over thinking this ?

Question 8?  Should i drink another budwesier?

THANKS EVERYONE.... 

I"m going to start with the trolling motor replacement first, cause well thats pretty damn self explanatory.!

Princeton_Man

Only a guess here but it's probably epoxied in the bottom of the hull. Check the bilge area closely with a bright light. It may be a puck style transducer. -Jim
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

tablerocktriton

I did find it... like you said.. so far I seem to loose down scan.  Thank you.

31airborne

1.  Not really.  You may get some functionality but it will be limited.

2.  Inside, just off center, most likely somewhere in rear compartment where batteries, oil rez are.  Like Jim said, it's a round, hockey puck-looking thing.

3.  You can try but it prob won't hold up.  Better to tap, screw it into place.  Talk to Lowrance and go to a boat dealer to see where they're doing it.

4.  usually mounted on the back face of the transom, near the bottom so that the bottom face of the 'ducer is on the same plane as the bottom face of the hull.  +1 reason for going to a dealer to see how they do it.

5.  No, but they all want you to go to a store and play w/ their products so you'll get hooked.  To that end, it's not a bad deal because it gives you the ability to check ride different brands side by side.

6.  Most likely.  Check w/ Lowrance.

7.  Not really.  Just don't forget to breathe.

8.  Always.  Just not while driving or boating.  ;)