BASS Elites returning to Minnesota

Started by CraigP83, February 08, 2017, 11:55:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigP83

AOY BACK AT MILLE LACS: BRACKET AT POKEGAMA

Mille Lacs Lake again will host the Toyota Bassmaster Angler of the Year Championship, Sept. 14-17, B.A.S.S. announced Monday, along with the site and date of the Classic Bracket tournament.

The first eight anglers out of the Classic berths, awarded via the AOY points (35th places plus double qualifiers), will travel about an hour and half north of Mille Lacs to Pokegama Lake near Grand Rapids, Minn. Over four days, Sept 19-22, the anglers will be winnowed down to the winner, who receives a spot in the Classic and the lion's share of $50,000.

Last year's event, won by Kevin VanDam on the Niagara River, provided tons of drama, despite no weigh-ins. Again, each fish will be weighed on the boat and released. We like to say it's the only time BASSTrakk standings are official.

Interesting to note, on the day B.A.S.S. released this, Minnesota announced it was lowering the daily limit of bass on Mille Lacs from 4 to 3. All bass between 17 and 21 inches must be released immediately, and anglers may only keep one bass longer than 21 inches when bass season opens on May 27.

It was reported that DNR Fisheries Chief Don Pereira said dropping the bass possession limit was to help strike a balance between harvesting fish and preserving trophy-sized bass the lake is renowned for.

Mike Cork

They got a taste of the Smallie Whack Fest ~c~ ~c~ I bet the weights get even better now that they have some experience on it ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

analfisherman

Craig, MN. still has the No Culling Law in effect, right?
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

CraigP83

Culling is allowed on almost all mn waters starting this year.

analfisherman

Thank you, Pallinick got disqualified in the LaCrosse Elite series last year....2 years ago...because he culled a Bass just barely past mid river and as you know.....once past mid river you have to follow MN. laws or WI. depending on which side of Mid River your on.

We used to have a no culling law too BUT they realized how much money big Pro Circuit Tournies bring into the local economy and changed the law.

Mille Lacs is a FUN lake to fish, along with Leech and numerous other smaller BOWS.

You ever fish one of the old ORE Pits........some are hundreds of feet deep and crystal clear.

Know a group of Scuba Clubs that go dive those Pits......they say it's just AMAZING!

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

CraigP83

Yea, I remember the DQ during the Elite series. I believe that was the catalyst in getting the no-cull law repealed. Interestingly, that law only applied to the WI border waters and Mille Lacs.

I have not fished any of the ore pits, they sound interesting. They must be located in the iron range in the NE part of the state?

earldogg

Major league fishing had an event on pokegama, a-mart broke the league record with over 80lbs there!

CraigP83

Quote from: earldogg on February 14, 2017, 09:34:11 PM
Major league fishing had an event on pokegama, a-mart broke the league record with over 80lbs there!

I wish I got that channel, or could find episodes online. I've still never watched MLF

On a side note, it's supposed to be 60* this weekend. If the ice near the boat launch on the river breaks free I'm hoping I can talk my buddy into taking his boat out.

Lipripper

Craig hope the ice melts so y'all can get out andenjoy the warm weather and maybe even find a few fish. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

analfisherman

Craig, here in WI. gamefish is open till the first Sun. in March........then closes till first Sat. in May.

How do you Mn. folks work your seasons?

If water/ice breaks, can you game fish this weekend?

I'm making similar plans but here in WI. moving water, rivers etc. are open year round.

CraigP83

The season closes February 26th. The Mississippi River pool by my house has special regulations though:

MISSISSIPPI RIVER VALLEY (Ramsey, Washington, Hennepin, and Dakota counties)
walleye, sauger, smallmouth bass, and largemouth bass: Catch­andrelease
with a continuous season in the following stretches:
a) Minnesota River
downstream from the Mendota Bridge; b) Minnehaha Creek downstream from
Minnehaha Falls; and c) Pool 2 of the Mississippi River between the Hastings
Dam and the Ford Dam, including all backwater lakes and connecting waters
except Crosby, Pickerel, Upper, Little Pigs Eye, and North Star Steel lakes.