Can fluoro be used with a loop knot?

Started by ʇuǝɹq™, May 23, 2017, 10:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ʇuǝɹq™

I like using loop knots with top water and jerk baits, but I've never tried it with fluorocarbon. I know certain knots will break with fluoro, and I'm not sure if this one will? I don't really want to try this out and break off a jerk bait.

bigjim5589

I would have to check into it more, as I rarely use fluoro, but loop knots and heavy fluoro bite tippets are popular now for saltwater fly fishing, with the idea that the fluoro line has good abrasion resistance, and the loop allows the fly to move more freely. I've been using a no slip loop knot for many years with mono type lines, and with Yozuri Hybrid, but not sure how it might work with straight fluoro.

I'll ask some of my fellow fly flingers & see what I can come up with!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

ʇuǝɹq™

bigjim5589

Brent, so far I've gotten responses from two fly anglers who say they use loop knots with fluoro. One angler states that he had no problems with the Rapala Loop, and the other fellow states that he's using the Lefty Kreh No Slip Loop, which is the loop that I use with mono lines. Both are similar.

Also the first fellow says he used that Rapala Loop with bait casting gear as well with fluoro leaders & braid when casting jigs or jerkbaits.

It was noted by both fellows, to properly lube the knot when tying them, which I'm sure you're already aware.

I'll update more when I have additional replies.   :)

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

bigjim5589

Brent, I've gotten some input from both fly rodders and salt anglers who use fluoro with lures. The Lefty Kreh No Slip or the Rapala Loop are the two that all seem to be using. The range of lines are from 8 lb to 50 lb, with the fly folks on the lower end & most of the salt guys on the heavier end.

There was some suggestions about the number of line wraps for either loop. 5 to 6 turns is advised for lighter lines, and 3 to 5 for heavier.

Those that said they had failures also said they believe it was not retying frequent enough. The only failures I've had with either loop & mono or Yozuri Hybrid that I recall was in the loop when the hook or line tie wire on the lure cut into it. That too was more likely a matter of not retying often enough.

It was mentioned again by several that these loops need to be tied properly & well lubed when tying them. Also it was mentioned to test them before losing your lure to an improper knot.

Sounds like you'll be OK with the fluoro & loop knot.  ~shade

ʇuǝɹq™

Wow, thanks for the all the work BigJim. I truly appreciate it. I feel a lot more confident with now with the high dollar jerk baits.