What water temp to start using Jerkbaits?

Started by 68camaro, October 01, 2017, 07:02:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68camaro

At what water temps do Jerkbaits become really effective?
2nd question, I think since they are pretty much for suspending fish, what water depths are you looking to throw them in?

Thanks?

Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

Princeton_Man

I start throwing the deeper ones as soon the leaves begin to change here. Which is happening here now and water is about 74 in the mornings. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Wizard

I start throwing jerkbaits at 52 degrees and below. Jim Bitter of Florida threw a jerkbait year around and made a lot of money doing it.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

Jerkbaits can be good at any temp as long as the they can reach the fish. The colder the water the slower the cadence, the warmer the water the faster the cadence, general rules. The deep divers can get down to 15 feet or more.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

-Shawn-

Year round truthfully... Anytime fish are suspended a jerk is a good choice.

I usually won't get serious about jerk sits until 50-52 and lower. That's when the shad start dieing and jerks become the best choice you have.

Oldfart9999

Here in the north country we start using them at ice out til ice in. We tend to mimic minnows and pelagic baitfish along with bream and perch.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

podcast

Agreed with above statement, ice out til ice in. A lot of the lakes I fish are clear. I use a 4-6 foot diving jerk bait and whether fish are suspended or on the bottom at 20 feet I get hit. I've had fish in 30 feet shoot straight up and nail a surface level jerk bait. All depends on your water clarity. It's an effective summer long strategy.

68camaro

Thanks, here in central VA the ponds and lake I fish usually are stained so I think I need to get level with fish, or close.

Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass