Cheap fishing tackle or expensive fishing tackle?

Started by Capt. BassinLou, February 01, 2018, 05:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Reading the dialogue on another thread got me thinking. Do you guys fish with cheap tackle or expensive tackle when your bank fishing? I bank fish more than I boat fish, and the thought of losing my pricier fishing tackle and/or lures really...really... irks me. So I use the pricier stuff when boat fishing and cheaper stuff when I bank fish. What say you?

Lipripper

I do most of my fishing from the bank also and I always have since I don't own a boat and for sure would think twice about throwing an expensive $20 lure from the bank where I would stand a better chance of getting it hung up and lost.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Kris

I still do some bank fishing but not very often anymore. Since I do own a boat or two I use it and fish with Friends in theirs more. When fishing from either I use the same tackle. Remember, I refuse to pay ridiculous money for anything fishing. I guess you would call most of my stuff middle of the road.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

cport

As far as my tackle goes, I'm a big believer in having the best you can afford, for any situation. So yes, I use my best rods and reels when bank fishing. Imagine hooking into an eleven pound fish with crappy gear, adding that extra element of worry while trying to bring her in. I was able to handle her with ease with my omen black and curado k, like an extension of me. I could put my focus on using the gear to control the fish, and not letting the gear control me.
I use whatever lure is catching fish at the time, and whatever the conditions dictate.  Of course, I'm not going to use my plopper around weeds, but I will cast it next to a stick up or tree if it looks good. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Donald Garner

Quote from: cport on February 01, 2018, 06:20:00 PM
As far as my tackle goes, I'm a big believer in having the best you can afford, for any situation. So yes, I use my best rods and reels when bank fishing.  Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I concur  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

WTodd

One of my best & fav medium crankbaits was in the $2 bin. It looks like it has gotten in a fight with a gator it's been hit so many times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigjim5589

I've found some "cheap" lures & other gear over the years that turned out to be jewels, so price paid doesn't mean a lot to me. I guess I'm in the middle, some things I've got are more on the expensive side while others have been real cheap. I buy & use what I can afford, and that varies. Doesn't matter where I'm fishing, from boat or bank makes no difference, I'll try to use whatever I think is the best choice for the conditions & situation.

But, I probably wouldn't toss a $20 crankbait if there's a good chance of snagging it & not be able to get it back. I may not even give a thought to tossing a $4 crankbait in the same place however.   ::)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Lipripper

Quote from: bigjim5589 on February 01, 2018, 06:45:46 PM
I've found some "cheap" lures & other gear over the years that turned out to be jewels, so price paid doesn't mean a lot to me. I guess I'm in the middle, some things I've got are more on the expensive side while others have been real cheap. I buy & use what I can afford, and that varies. Doesn't matter where I'm fishing, from boat or bank makes no difference, I'll try to use whatever I think is the best choice for the conditions & situation.

But, I probably wouldn't toss a $20 crankbait if there's a good chance of snagging it & not be able to get it back. I may not even give a thought to tossing a $4 crankbait in the same place however.   ::)
I hear you Jim and I have a couple of new $20 to $30 lures that I've had for several years that I won in contest that have never seen the water yet cause I didn't want to lose them.  lo lo

Bud Kennedy

I don't care what the lure cost.  If I bought it then you can darn well bet it's gonna get used.  In the case where you got some for free, you might as well encase them in lucite and at least use them as a paperweight.  Makes not sense to have them and not use them. Another example would be some nice artistic high quality customs rods that never get wet.  Mine are on the deck on every trip.  I like to enjoy my purchases.

SteveTX

As far as equipment like rods and reels I pick what rods out of the pile are suited for where I am going. Lures I am also one that doesn't like spending a lot or even full price I guess on them. I usually try and get name brand or better yet lures that are kind a proven but always hunt for a deal before buying. Last year there was a particular jig I liked that went on clearance at Academy for $1.98 ea. That jig is normally $5 so I loaded up.  ;D  I do that at all of the online stores Cabellas, Dicks, and Academy have had some stupid prices at one time or another. Like 10" Berkley Power worms for free if you did the rebate. So mostly once I'm fishing I will throw any tackle I have anywhere I think there may be a fish. I know my tackle was purchased at a price I can lose one here or there and its not a issue.       

zippyduck

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Justin62882

When i bank fish I use these mostly.                                                            4 dollar bladed jig, 2.99 h20 express crankbait or lipless crank, $2.16 zoom lizards from walmart, 3 dollar berkley worms, 1 dollar Wal-Mart spinnerbait. Caught my best of 2017on this bait last year 4 pound 10oz. 4 dollar Zoom horny toads. 3 dollar yum dinger this is all i take bank fishing. This year I will be including the jigs. 
Fishing Is not an escape  from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

analfisherman

Quote from: SteveTX on February 01, 2018, 09:57:01 PM
As far as equipment like rods and reels I pick what rods out of the pile are suited for where I am going. Lures I am also one that doesn't like spending a lot or even full price I guess on them. I usually try and get name brand or better yet lures that are kind a proven but always hunt for a deal before buying. Last year there was a particular jig I liked that went on clearance at Academy for $1.98 ea. That jig is normally $5 so I loaded up.  ;D  I do that at all of the online stores Cabellas, Dicks, and Academy have had some stupid prices at one time or another. Like 10" Berkley Power worms for free if you did the rebate. So mostly once I'm fishing I will throw any tackle I have anywhere I think there may be a fish. I know my tackle was purchased at a price I can lose one here or there and its not a issue.       

DID I POST THIS?   ~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao

And Academy and thier $1.98 SALES TOO!!  ~shade

I'm a FLAT OUT EQUIPMENT JUNKIE!!!!!
But I can SAFELY SAY, "I don't recall paying retail for anything fishing related ever."

And I shorebust at least 4-5 times a week during season.
I can't imagine buying a lure and then be afraid to fish it for fear of losing it?????????

What's WORSE.....MY WATERS ARE FULL OF PIKE......take my word for it.......THEY EAT ANYTHING A BASS WILL EAT....only they don't like to give your lures back.  ~xyz ~rant
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

SFL BassHunter

Considering the fact that I am the best fisherman I have ever known at getting hung up on rocks, trees, underwater trees, invisible trees, sticks, roots of trees, and well anything else I could get hung on up...yes I use cheaper lures for my bank fishing. I almost exclusively use lead bullet weights and never bring out the tungsten unless I've run out of the lead.

Treble baits are the worst ones. Those get hung up everywhere.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on February 02, 2018, 11:56:14 AM
Considering the fact that I am the best fisherman I have ever known at getting hung up on rocks, trees, underwater trees, invisible trees, sticks, roots of trees, and well anything else I could get hung on up...yes I use cheaper lures for my bank fishing. I almost exclusively use lead bullet weights and never bring out the tungsten unless I've run out of the lead.

You bud, have an unbelievable gift. I have never seen anyone who can hook a tree on land or in the water with such ease. Lol!!

Justin62882

Quote from: SFL BassHunter on February 02, 2018, 11:56:14 AM

i hear ya!! I get snagged in some crazy situations  I always tell whoevervim fishing with well they aren't biting underwater they Gotta be somewhere lol

bigjim5589

QuoteI don't care what the lure cost.  If I bought it then you can darn well bet it's gonna get used.  In the case where you got some for free, you might as well encase them in lucite and at least use them as a paperweight.  Makes not sense to have them and not use them. Another example would be some nice artistic high quality customs rods that never get wet.  Mine are on the deck on every trip.  I like to enjoy my purchases.

Hey Bud, I don't disagree, and don't matter to me either about the price. My comment was more about probability. Some places I've fished from shore I always lost a good bit of tackle, while from a boat in the same area, the same tackle could often be recovered. I'll use anything I buy, but some places I've fished the possible loss of a more costly lure never justified the return on investment for fishing there with such a lure. So, I used lesser costly lures in those places & saved the pricier lures for better situations.  lo
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Bud Kennedy

I haven't fished from the bank in many years so I guess I am spoiled.  While I do lose lures from time to time it never really bothered me because that is what I bought them for.  It was more of a problem at Santee not in the water but I have made my share of bonehead casts into the cypress trees and some unbelievable altitudes.   lo   Since my rod stock now consists of better rods I need to start taking along one of my old ugly sticks to use as a tree swatter for such an occasion.   lo

Justin62882

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on February 02, 2018, 03:41:59 PM
I haven't fished from the bank in many years so I guess I am spoiled.  While I do lose lures from time to time it never really bothered me because that is what I bought them for.  It was more of a problem at Santee not in the water but I have made my share of bonehead casts into the cypress trees and some unbelievable altitudes.   lo   Since my rod stock now consists of better rods I need to start taking along one of my old ugly sticks to use as a tree swatter for such an occasion.   lo
Lol them ugly stiks are tough

Lipripper

FlatsNBay

I don't change lures when going bank fishing. I do lose a bait here and there , even with Rick's tree climbing skills! I'm thinking of paying to get Rick SCUBA certified, then he can really help me get my lures back! I will go the extra mile to get a lure back and will wade up to my waste in gator infested waters just to save $6!

I do have a go box that I keep in the truck at all times just in case I happen upon a good looking bank fishing spot. In the box are baits and colors that fell out of the rotation for some reason. Since I always keep them in a separate box, they are baits that won't be missed in my regular box. But when I plan on going to a specific spot and it's not spur of the moment, I bring the good stuff.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: FlatsNBay on February 03, 2018, 07:05:31 AM
I don't change lures when going bank fishing. I do lose a bait here and there , even with Rick's tree climbing skills! I'm thinking of paying to get Rick SCUBA certified, then he can really help me get my lures back! I will go the extra mile to get a lure back and will wade up to my waste in gator infested waters just to save $6!

I do have a go box that I keep in the truck at all times just in case I happen upon a good looking bank fishing spot. In the box are baits and colors that fell out of the rotation for some reason. Since I always keep them in a separate box, they are baits that won't be missed in my regular box. But when I plan on going to a specific spot and it's not spur of the moment, I bring the good stuff.

You best get yourself scuba certified cause I have absolutely 0 interest in getting eaten by gators. LOL
I wouldn't scuba in saltwater.
I prefer to stay on land, I might wade in a foot of water if its at one of the crystal clear lakes in a public park that we have down here where gators are not commonly found lol.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Johntom2k

Some of my best lures came from the clearance section at Walmart!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A bad day of fishing is a better day at work.

Blacknredflake

I use whatever I have..cheap or expensive. Same stuff I use bank fishin I will use in a boat.
BITE THE DAMN WORM!

pjl63

For the time being, I'm only a bank angler.  I always buy stuff on sale unless I'm just picking something up in a pinch.  Even my rods and reels were either clearance, refurbished, or supplemented by a gift card.  The only "expensive" baits I have I got on clearance.  For example, I have more than a dozen Lucky Craft lipless cranks.  They usually retail for $15 or so.  My local Dick's was having a clearance -- buy 5 at $5.99 and get 5 free.  So I got 10 baits for the price of two regulars.  Also picked up a couple when Cabela's was closing out on Lucky Craft baits.  For my other gear, I wait for Tackle Warehouse's rare sales or a 20% off coupon from Dick's/F&S.