25 Pound Striped Bass Caught in the Charles River Feb. 21, 2018

Started by Smallie_Stalker, February 23, 2018, 08:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

A 25 pound Striped bass was caught on Wednesday February 21st in the Charles River right in the heart of Boston. Two brothers who are grad students at Harvard University took advantage of our summerlike weather this past Wednesday (Air temps hit 70 degrees) and took a break from their studies to go fishing for a bit. Then one got the surprise of his life. Up to that point the biggest fish they had caught out of there were maybe 3 or 4 pounds.

It's been all over local media. You can read the article that the Boston Globe published by going to:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/02/23/all-about-that-bass-harvard-brothers-snag-pound-fish-charles-river/Mg8xq7oBhA2s7XGUhOmmFJ/story.html

I cut my teeth fishing that river. I caught some big carp and cats in there but nothing close to a double digit fish let alone over 20 pounds.

i guess I need to schedule a trip back to my home water sometime real soon.  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Lipripper

Thanks for the story Smallie and that would be fun to catch a fish that big. ~c~ ~c~ It's been several years since I'm caught a fish bigger than 5 LBs.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

Yep, it is fun. I've got a 28lber hanging on the wall.  Love striper fishing.  It can be very relaxing till you hook one.  Better yet three of you in the boat hook one at the same time time.
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

muzz

I've caught Catfish and carp out of the Charles(pretty big brown, decent orange) when I was a kid we would go to the footbridge behind Harvard with old bread and Zebco 202 outfits.... we'd go about a 1/4-1/3 the way up, and just lower the line between the stone balusters...then 1 of us would handline(most) the fish up while the other guy reeled!
Good Times, and stale bread was put to good use (doughballs).

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: muzz on December 16, 2018, 08:15:27 PM
I've caught Catfish and carp out of the Charles(pretty big brown, decent orange) when I was a kid we would go to the footbridge behind Harvard with old bread and Zebco 202 outfits.... we'd go about a 1/4-1/3 the way up, and just lower the line between the stone balusters...then 1 of us would handline(most) the fish up while the other guy reeled!
Good Times, and stale bread was put to good use (doughballs).
I grew up in Cambridge. I used to fish that same footbridge in the late 60's to mid 70"
's

Spent a lot of time fishing the bridge and the boat house right bear MIT too.

As an adult I fished more north of Boston on the Charles both with clubs and as a Master Fishing Instructor with Masswildlife's Angler Education program.

There are some areas with decent largemouth and smallmouth up around Newton amd Waltham. Unfortunately lots of toothy critters too and now even a few gators up that way.

MA is definitely an interesting place when it comes to fishing.

Also fi

Sent from my LG-H932 (LG V30 Plus) using Tapatalk

muzz

Ha, I was born in Cambridge, and I was fishing that footbridge in the early-mid 70's. I lived in Somerville at the time, we'd ride our bikes, or just walk down beacon st.
We used to jump on the bus at Porter Sq. and go fishing at Spy pond in Arlington too.
Good Times, we kids went everywhere walking/bikes/bus....times sure have changed.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: muzz on December 16, 2018, 11:36:03 PM
Ha, I was born in Cambridge, and I was fishing that footbridge in the early-mid 70's. I lived in Somerville at the time, we'd ride our bikes, or just walk down beacon st.
We used to jump on the bus at Porter Sq. and go fishing at Spy pond in Arlington too.
Good Times, we kids went everywhere walking/bikes/bus....times sure have changed.

Yep. I rode my bike everywhere back then. I miss the fact that times were much more laid back then. Used to bike to the Mystic lakes to fish too. I was fishing Spy pond right up until about 4 years ago.

Did you ever eat at the Newtowne Grill in Porter Square? My dad and I used to go there after we visited the sporting goods store to buy ammunition. Talk about how times have changed.  ~shade

muzz

Was that Roaches or something like that (Black sign across the side street from the little store on the corner), across from Arby's? I used to go in there all the time as a kid, hardly ever had $ to buy anything, but I lived down the street from JFK Elementary on Elm St.(away from Porter Sq. towards Jack in a box).
Used to grab the bus next to DD's to go to Spy Pond.

muzz

Not sure I ever ate there, but I spent a TON of time at Porter Sq. in the early-mid 70's ..
Used to play pinball in the store UNDER Star Market (Gilchrist? Filenes?- next to SS KRESGE).
My 5 speed Royce bike was stolen from that corner vestibule, and it had a cable lock.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: muzz on December 17, 2018, 06:41:53 PM
Was that Roaches or something like that (Black sign across the side street from the little store on the corner), across from Arby's? I used to go in there all the time as a kid, hardly ever had $ to buy anything, but I lived down the street from JFK Elementary on Elm St.(away from Porter Sq. towards Jack in a box).
Used to grab the bus next to DD's to go to Spy Pond.

Yes! Roaches. Thank you, I couldn't remember the name. Ate a lot of meals at that Jack In A Box as a teen. Man, you are bringing back a lot of memories for an old dog like me.  :)

muzz

I'm surprised I don't already know you...
Maybe I do.
Harvard Bridge, Spy Pond, Porter Sq. Roaches... same time frame...wow, it's almost unbelievable.