Prostate Cancer - Chapter Two.

Started by Smallie_Stalker, September 25, 2019, 09:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

I saw the urologist today. My PSA levels have doubled since my last draw about a month ago and combined with a few other related issues I have going on he is concerned that the cancer may be getting more aggressive sooner than they expected.

I am scheduled for another biopsy on October the 17th and then I will see him on the 24th to find out the results. I will also have some additional tests that day to see if I may need surgery for the related issues that are going on. So I could be looking at one, two or no surgeries very shortly. I don't know what's worse, the waiting to find out how all this will play out, whether the cancer is worse or, God forbid, has spread, or the actual surgeries themselves if needed.

The real scary part is that I have these dates scheduled but I may not be able to keep them. I have no vehicle of my own and the person who has been giving me rides to my med appointments is no longer able to do it. Even if I could borrow or somehow rent a car they won't let me drive myself home because of the anesthetics they would be using.

I know I seem to ask this a lot, but if you've got some extra prayers, positive thoughts or whatever please send them my way. First that I can find a way there and then for positive outcomes.

As for me I'm keeping my faith and a positive mental outlook.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

apenland01

Sorry to hear this.  Thoughts and prayers headed your way!  Good luck with everything....

caddyjoe77

BeerMe

ike8120

Gary (ike8120)

"It's not whats best......It's whats best for you"

FishinBuck07

Sorry to hear this, will be sending up prayers! 

Deadeye

If need be you can try using an Uber or Lift Driver to take you there and back.

Here they also offer Medical Drivers that take folks to Dr Appointments and such. I see they all the time running to and from.

PSA Doubling is what they are looking fo. Until that happens or at least a high spike in the numbers they don't really take it seriously. Crazy I know but that is the Guide they use.

If the Biopsy shows you indeed have enough Cancer to proceed, then you will need to decide what type of "Cure" you want to do. It is a personal decision and only you can make it.

Best Wishes.

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

bigjim5589

Very sorry that you're going through this Jim! Prayers will be doubled up for you!

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

scottrowell

Prayers said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

TNDiver

Praying Jim.  Hoping it is just a one time thing and nothing serious!
There is nothing like sharing any moment outdoors with someone special!

UB Life Member: Starcraft Deck Boat with Minnkota Fortrex and Garmin Echomap Plus

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks all. I'm a strong believer in the power of prayer. Ultimately it is all in God's hands.

@Deadeye, yeah I have been struggling with the decision of whether to go surgery or radiation since I was first diagnosed two years ago. Still got some time so I'll be doing a lot of praying on it between now.and the day I get the biopsy results. I still got you on my prayer list that you stay cancer free.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Prayers headed your way Smallie. I no these are tough times but your faith will bring you through. Keep the PMA strong  ~bb

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Donald Garner

Smallie we got you in our daily prayers buddy  ;)
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

bigjim5589

Smallie, a good friend & former co-worker went thru that several years ago when I was still living in MD.

He had periodic checks and his PSA's had gone up, so they did a biopsy. It was positive, and they did some radiation treatment. All they did was go in & put a tiny amount of radioactive material in the prostate.

That seemed to do the trick for him, and I usually ask him how he's doing when I talk with him. So far, it's worked and he's back to normal.

So, if that's the route you take, it's a simple procedure.

Of course the prayers will continue for you too!  :)
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: bigjim5589 on September 28, 2019, 11:14:17 AM
Smallie, a good friend & former co-worker went thru that several years ago when I was still living in MD.

He had periodic checks and his PSA's had gone up, so they did a biopsy. It was positive, and they did some radiation treatment. All they did was go in & put a tiny amount of radioactive material in the prostate.

That seemed to do the trick for him, and I usually ask him how he's doing when I talk with him. So far, it's worked and he's back to normal.

So, if that's the route you take, it's a simple procedure.

Of course the prayers will continue for you too!  :)

Thanks Jim. I did some research when they first found the cancer two years ago. There were 2 radiation procedures where they put something into the prostate. One is called seeding which is what I believe your friend had. The other, they insert several tubes into the prostate and directly inject a radiation solution into the prostate over several visits. At the end of the last visit they remove the tubes.

Unfortunately I have been told I am not a candidate for either of those procedures. If I choose radiation then my only option is IMRT Beam Radiation. It's actually a very precise technology where they can shape the beam to the shape of the tumor. Usually they do a small area around the tumor as well as a precaution but it causes the least amount of damage to the healthy areas of the prostate so other functions are not damaged.

Both surgery and radiation have their advantages and disadvantages so if I am at the point of needing to do something now it's going to be a little tough. The only thing that really concerns me radiation wise is that the doctor at Dana Faber told me that a large number of patients develop other cancers later down the road, not necessarily in the prostate or prostate area, but that they believe are related to the radiation treatments for the prostate. The magic number seems to be at about 12 years after. That would put me at only 71 years old. Then I may have to deal with worse cancers than this. At the rate I'm going I don't know if my body could handle things like chemo by that point.

I'm just gonna leave it in God's hands and pray for guidance in the whole thing.

Bud Kennedy

Jim, I had the IMRT treatments.  The only bad part was having to do it 5 days a week for 45 days.  I just did not want to go through any of the surgical options and I am very glad I picked IMRT.   My treatment was in the days before I retired and had private insurance that did not cover all of the expenses and I think my out of pocket was somewhere around $15K.  Considering the entire bill was $125K that was better than paying the whole deal.  If you choose IMRT can you commit to a 5 day a week treatment for 45 days.  Might be a bit tough with your transportation issues.

While undergoing IMRT, I did not experience any sickness but did notice that I was a little tired towards the end of the treatments.

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks Bud. I remember you telling me about the IMRT treatment. I have been told that if I choose that treatment the American Cancer Society has a service that provides free rides for patients. I haven't been able to confirm that yet though so I will be looking into it more in the upcoming weeks.

Captsteve

Prayers for you Smallie. Sorry to hear.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Oldfart9999

Jim, you don't have a medical motor group in your area?Whichever way you decide our prayers will be with you!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on October 01, 2019, 05:33:28 AM
Jim, you don't have a medical motor group in your area?Whichever way you decide our prayers will be with you!!!
Rodney
Don't know what a medical motor group is.

bassmedic46

Prayers for you. You could try Uber.
A bad day fishing is better then a good day at work. Take a kid fishing

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: bassmedic46 on October 07, 2019, 09:18:05 AM
Prayers for you. You could try Uber.
Thanks brother. Still got you in my daily prayers too.

Uber or Lyft are a great idea but I wouldn't have the funds for 10 trips a week for 9 weeks. Just not feasible for me right now.

It might come down to having to choose surgery (if that is still an option) simply because of the cost of the rides.

It won't be until the 24th before I find out where things stand so I've still got some time to research available options.

Stay strong brother and keep a PMA.

geneinnc

Have not forgot you. Any updates?

Smallie_Stalker

Thanks for asking Gene. I thought I had updated here already. Life has just gotten a lot busier lately.

The good news is that there were no new cancers found and the original tumor doesn't appear to have changed in size.

The down side of this is it doesn't explain the other symptoms like the extreme fatigue, the loss of appetite, rapid weight loss and the PSA that double in a short time.

I lost 18 pounds in less than 3 weeks, and most days I am so fatigued it takes every bit of energy I have just to move my legs to walk.

My primary did every bit of blood work she could think of including some out of the ordinary tests and everything came back with great results so the situation is baffling.  :-\

I'll just focus on the positives for now and try and keep my PMA going.