Perception Pescador Pro 10 Build

Started by apiazza, December 21, 2019, 12:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apiazza

Now that I have bought my first fishing kayak I figured I would throw together a thread for all the fishing related stuff I do for it. Maybe it will help folks out looking to get into the game or setup their own yak.

So to kick off, here she is. Perception Pescador Pro 10. Bare bones. She comes 10'6" and 32" wide. Pretty comfortable seat, pre setup for electronics with ample deck storage. My 2 gripes initially are the awful rod holders which will be easy fix with a crate and the lack of dry storage/hull access. Unfortunately there is a small access behind the seat and that's it, which makes access in the bow area impossible without some clever thinking. We will see if it's an issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

I always enjoy following these types of threads and I learn a lot. Thanks for putting this up.  ;PEP)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

gtrpickr

Those seem to be some well made kayaks, one of these days I will get me one.

SteelHorseCowboy

They are very well made, my sister has the 12, and I wish I'd shelled out the extra $100 to get one myself.

Interesting thing: a lot of these kayaks actually share the same hull design across multiple brands.

Apiazza, one thing I bet you'd like for sure, unless you already have some physical issues you should be able to fish from that seat most of the day. Also, it is possible to stand up on these. It'd be sketchy as hell, but possible.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

apiazza

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on December 22, 2019, 03:57:37 PM
They are very well made, my sister has the 12, and I wish I'd shelled out the extra $100 to get one myself.

Interesting thing: a lot of these kayaks actually share the same hull design across multiple brands.

Apiazza, one thing I bet you'd like for sure, unless you already have some physical issues you should be able to fish from that seat most of the day. Also, it is possible to stand up on these. It'd be sketchy as hell, but possible.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
I appreciate the feedback. I was really hoping to stand and fish but I'm not sure how much that will happen. I'm a pretty small guy so I might get lucky. The hull is definitely a bit more V shaped, so it should be very good to paddle, but at a sacrifice of stability especially while standing. The seat is fantastic so that certainly helps balance that.

apiazza

No first voyage because PA laws are stupid...to use in a state park (locally to me) you need a launch permit. They are purchased annually so I would pay for all of 2019 to use for a few days. I'll wait until the first of the year.

No real upgrades yet. I have supplies ordered to build my crate. I did spend some time today cleaning off the tape residue and laying out potential gear track locations (the blue tape). The factory locations are at your feet and not easy access for your gear. I plan to put one to my left for future electronics, one to the right possibly for a rod holder and 2 in the rear for whatever might come up storage wise.

I have an idea for making it more stand able by shifting weight back toward the seat. Until I get on the water I wont know if its needed or not.

kdubracing

Please update as this progresses. I will be buying either this model if it's still on sale in a couple of months at a local store, or the regular Pescador 10 if it isn't. I'm curious to see your thoughts.

SHC286

Quote from: kdubracing on January 14, 2020, 09:42:57 PM
Please update as this progresses. I will be buying either this model if it's still on sale in a couple of months at a local store, or the regular Pescador 10 if it isn't. I'm curious to see your thoughts.

The Magellan Origin that I have is basically the regular Pescador. If you compare the two side by side you'll see what I mean.

Spring for the Pro version. Your ass and back will thank you. I got the Magellan because it was $100 cheaper, and I kick myself for it.

apiazza

Quote from: kdubracing on January 14, 2020, 09:42:57 PM

Welcome aboard! I'm happy to keep everyone in the loop. Ask whatever questions you want and I'll try to help out.

Here are some thoughts thus far...I took her out for a short paddle around a local lake last weekend when the weather was warm enough. The wind was blowing 10-15mph towards the ramp that I launched from. I paddled perpendicular to the wind for a while, threw a deep crank before calling it quits for my own safety (water is hardly above freezing).

Pros:
Boat is light, but still very rigid.
Tracks really well, even in the wind. The more V shaped hull is good for that and speed. That comes as a sacrifice to stability. I wouldn't call it unstable though. Broad side to some rough chop and the occasional little wave in the bow it never felt dangerous or at risk of rolling. Even in those conditions I could easily access the front storage area or get behind me to my tackle or rods. With a little more time it will get even easier. As mentioned, the seat is worth the price difference over the standard Pescador. Drainage is really good. Most the water goes either far forward or far aft in the cockpit, which is a good thing. the aft ones are under your seat and if you are in the higher seat position you don't ever sit in the water so you can leave the scupper out. The forward ones are beyond my feet (i'm 5'8") so I can leave those plugs out too. the middle plugs (at about my knees) and the ones in the rear storage area will stay plugged for the winter. You can definitely stand in it, but a big hookset could see you swimming if not prepared. I'll know more when the water gets warm and i'm willing to test it.

The 3600 box storage location under the seat is nice to have.

Plenty of flat area to add accessory tracks

Cons:
It has a bit of rock, but once you get to the secondary hull shape, it become very stable again. I think overall the hull design is a good compromise.
Factory rod holders are awful. not even worth using. Put a crate with a bunch of rod holders. my factory ones wont be used for anything other than a net.
Not a lot of dry storage or internal access. The little opening behind the seat is hardly large enough for your arm to reach in.
The intention of the electronics compartment was nice, but for me it is so far forward that it serves little value other than battery storage. When it comes time for a fish finder i'm going to come up with a better solution and use the space for stashing things like bags of plastics, which i think it will work better for.
The supplied gear tracks are pretty far forward. probably okay for 1 rod holder as quick storage for a rod while paddling but not really close enough to be actively used. I will probably add to short ones closer to me (like I had in the pictures above).
The deck is a little slick without traction, but that is pretty much any kayak. They offer a pad kit for $120, but I'll probably make my own using seadek for less than half the price.

All in all, i'm very happy. Most my cons are user preference and easily fixed with appropriate rigging. I almost with there was a Pescador Semi-Pro. The forward dry storage and rod holders of the regular pescador with the pro's seat, cockpit and open rear deck would be a sweet compromise.

If you are shopping around, check out facebook market place. there are a lot of options at some damn good prices. You might be able to get a little bit better boat used for the same price.

kdubracing

Quote from: SHC286 on January 15, 2020, 05:29:19 AM
The Magellan Origin that I have is basically the regular Pescador. If you compare the two side by side you'll see what I mean.

Spring for the Pro version. Your ass and back will thank you. I got the Magellan because it was $100 cheaper, and I kick myself for it.
I'm hoping to get the pro, but it's not a huge deal if I don't. I have a stadium seat that is very similar to the one on the pro that I can get in there. Also, I will be getting a boat in about a year, so I will use the kayak quite a bit this year, then here and there after that.

kdubracing

Quote from: apiazza on January 15, 2020, 06:08:38 AM
Cons:
It has a bit of rock, but once you get to the secondary hull shape, it become very stable again. I think overall the hull design is a good compromise.
Factory rod holders are awful. not even worth using. Put a crate with a bunch of rod holders. my factory ones wont be used for anything other than a net.
Not a lot of dry storage or internal access. The little opening behind the seat is hardly large enough for your arm to reach in.
The intention of the electronics compartment was nice, but for me it is so far forward that it serves little value other than battery storage. When it comes time for a fish finder i'm going to come up with a better solution and use the space for stashing things like bags of plastics, which i think it will work better for.
The supplied gear tracks are pretty far forward. probably okay for 1 rod holder as quick storage for a rod while paddling but not really close enough to be actively used. I will probably add to short ones closer to me (like I had in the pictures above).
The deck is a little slick without traction, but that is pretty much any kayak. They offer a pad kit for $120, but I'll probably make my own using seadek for less than half the price.

All in all, i'm very happy. Most my cons are user preference and easily fixed with appropriate rigging. I almost with there was a Pescador Semi-Pro. The forward dry storage and rod holders of the regular pescador with the pro's seat, cockpit and open rear deck would be a sweet compromise.
Thanks for the info. A couple of questions/comments regarding your cons.
As long as it's fairly stable, I'll be good. I'm not going to be standing at all.
I will be using a crate with rod holders attached. I also won't be taking more than 3 rods, so the factory rod holders are no big deal. I've heard others say those are terrible too. Using for a net is what I was tentatively planning on anyway.
Dry storage is also not a big deal as I will be using for day trips and to smaller water. If I need some, I'll buy some dry bags.
I am very interested in the electronics storage. This is one of the main reasons I would be more interested in the pro. I will be getting a Garmin Striker and this looked like a good setup. I appreciate all your thoughts on pros/cons on this. Obviously, just need a place for the battery. I'm thinking of using an arm for the transducer rather than in hull. With you stating the tracks are farther forward, that may work out well.

The situation I'm in is the Pro model is on sale for $599 at a local place. I will get that if it is still that price when I'm ready to get one. If it's not, I will be getting the regular Pescador. By the sounds of your pros/cons, the regular would be fine for my needs. As stated above, I would plan to rig my stadium seat in there. This would raise me and also be more comfortable.

apiazza

Quote from: kdubracing on January 17, 2020, 03:10:44 PM
Thanks for the info. A couple of questions/comments regarding your cons.
As long as it's fairly stable, I'll be good. I'm not going to be standing at all.
I will be using a crate with rod holders attached. I also won't be taking more than 3 rods, so the factory rod holders are no big deal. I've heard others say those are terrible too. Using for a net is what I was tentatively planning on anyway.
Dry storage is also not a big deal as I will be using for day trips and to smaller water. If I need some, I'll buy some dry bags.
I am very interested in the electronics storage. This is one of the main reasons I would be more interested in the pro. I will be getting a Garmin Striker and this looked like a good setup. I appreciate all your thoughts on pros/cons on this. Obviously, just need a place for the battery. I'm thinking of using an arm for the transducer rather than in hull. With you stating the tracks are farther forward, that may work out well.

The situation I'm in is the Pro model is on sale for $599 at a local place. I will get that if it is still that price when I'm ready to get one. If it's not, I will be getting the regular Pescador. By the sounds of your pros/cons, the regular would be fine for my needs. As stated above, I would plan to rig my stadium seat in there. This would raise me and also be more comfortable.
The transducer placement is nice. The battery storage location will certainly do the job. It's not a water tight location. I would prefer it be considering it will have a battery in it that you want to prevent from shorting. It honestly wouldn't likely happen unless you were in some serious rain or the event of it capsizing. Light use it is more than sufficient.

The tracks seem far to me but it could just be my size. Adding tracks is pretty cheap and easy so I'm not offended by it. Most my opinion is based on the fact that I want to run electronics in the hull and any track and anchor trolly I install I would prefer to put the backing plates on for strength. Again, that's personal preference. If you dont care to do that, than it's absolutely a piece of cake to rig to your liking. Most my cons were a preference things, the boat itself is really sound from my little experience so far. I'm going to start ordering my accessories now (fish finder has to wait a bit) and each time I'll have some better feedback.

apiazza

Couple quick buys for the yak.

Yakattack omega rod holder for my right hand track. I think the design is awesome. Works with all rods and gives you the ability to lock to rod in place. No chance of it going swimming while landing a fish, rigging a lure or anything else.

Picked up a 2 pack of crates and a 2 pack of triple rod holders. Both on amazon for about $10 each. I saw some ideas around that involves using the bottom bit of a second crate to create a lid. This lid also acts like a quick access storage tray. I think I'm going to go that route, but most I saw only use zip ties to hinge. I might pick up some small piano hinges to make it a bit more robust and clean. I'll decide once I start to dig into the project. I want to put a divider in the crate to separate plano boxes from the rest of the storage space.

zippyduck

Some nice ideas . Remember to still leave things out of the way for loading onto the vehicle.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

apiazza

Quote from: zippyduck on January 21, 2020, 04:36:56 PM
Some nice ideas . Remember to still leave things out of the way for loading onto the vehicle.
Truth! I've transported both in my truck bed and my trailer. Haven't decided which is going to be my primary method. The rod hold pops off super easy (one reason I like it) and the crate will only be held in by the bungees in the rear compartment.

kdubracing

I'm planning on building a similar crate setup with a lid. The only issue I've thought about is the Plano 3700 boxes will not fit in the crate with a lid. What type of tackle boxes/bag are you going to be using? I was going to get a 3600 or 3650 box and see how it fit. I am also planning on putting a piece of 3" pvc to hold an anchor, but haven't decided on inside or outside the crate. I will be using a 3 rod holder as you are. I like the spacer they have on the back to separate it from the crate a bit.

apiazza

Quote from: kdubracing on January 22, 2020, 08:44:11 AM
I'm planning on building a similar crate setup with a lid. The only issue I've thought about is the Plano 3700 boxes will not fit in the crate with a lid. What type of tackle boxes/bag are you going to be using? I was going to get a 3600 or 3650 box and see how it fit. I am also planning on putting a piece of 3" pvc to hold an anchor, but haven't decided on inside or outside the crate. I will be using a 3 rod holder as you are. I like the spacer they have on the back to separate it from the crate a bit.
I use 3600 boxes. I have two backpacks that hold 3600 so I didn't want to change that too. I haven't decided how I'm going to store an anchor. Be it in the crate or elsewhere. I might just put it in the forward storage area. I plan to only use it for a smallish dry bag at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

apiazza

Finally got around to building my yak crate. Bought a pair of crates on amazon for about $10, two 3 rod holders for about $10 each, $12 for some new hardware to mount everything.

To make the lid I cut the second crate right along the bottom thick edge with a jig saw and then sanded flat. I bought a cheap pair of hinges and used some pop rivets. Will probably need to keep them lubed up well so the dont rust and seize. I need a better security method for the crate in the kayak but I'll sort that out.

crankbait09

I know this thread is old, but I would like to chime in and add my two cents, for what it's worth.
The original post did a good job at reviewing the kayak.  I'd agree with everything he mentioned.

I have the same exact kayak that the OP has.  I have had mine for a little over a year now.  I purchased this kayak after having the Ascend FS128T.  That Ascend was built like a tank.  Could stand in it, and it was very stable.  But to have those perks, you needed to have a kayak that weighed 100 pounds bare.  That got to be a bit much, so I went with the Pescador Pro 100. Easy for me to throw on top of my SUV.

I don't wanna repeat a lot of what has been said, but I will highlight a couple things, and show some of the things I did to mine.

Last year I was fishing in April, and the waters were still cold here in Cincinnati.  Not frozen, but cold.  I was fishing and I ended up getting to close to the shore where there were tree overhangs.  I wasn't looking, and next thing I knew, my rods that were in the vertical rod holders, became tangled with the overhanging branches.  As I was trying to get the rods free of the tree, I wasn't paying attention to how far I was leaning left/right of center of the kayak.  Next thing I knew, I was in the water, and all my items that were not strapped in, were floating.  I did lose my anchor, needle nose pliers, and maybe one other thing.  Wasn't anything crazy, value wise.  But I was able to turn the kayak upright and throw everything back in.  Moral of the story?  Is it stable? yes. BUT it can flip if you are not careful.  After that, I haven't flipped it since.  Just gotta pay attention and make sure you don't lean off to one side too far.  But you'll get used to how far you can move before you hit the point of no return.

Now for the fun part.  I haven't done too many mods that are any different than other kayakers. 
Starting from front to back. 
1. I installed a waterproof battery box at the bow of the boat underneath the cargo net.  I have it velcro'd in place.  The battery feeds my Garmin Striker 4 fish finder.

2. I have a stand assist strap tied off to the bow handle.  This makes it a lot easier for standing up when exiting the kayak, as well as entering.

3. I have two rod holders on the built in tracks.  I was trying to limit the number of times I would need to reach behind me when swapping out rods.  SO my two primary rods will be in those holder.  Obviously, the one in use will be in hand, but once fish is landed, that allows me to store the rod while I take pictures/weigh.  If I find I want to swap techniques, I can swap rods out, and put the one not in use in the holder on the left.  Easy access, and easy changing without reaching behind and avoiding possible rolling. (I have not done that yet, but would still like to avoid it)

4. I added padding on the floor of the kayak for traction, as well as sound deadening.  I'm really surprised they don't come with this floor pad out of the factory, but it is what it is. I purchased a roll of it off ebay, and created templates, traced, and cut them out.  It's not perfect, but it serves it's purpose.  Next time, I will definitely get padding that is thinner.  Too thick makes it harder to cut.

5. I made my own scupper plugs.  I purchased black foam golf balls, black plastic washers, and paracord to make them.  I wanted them to match the kayak colors.  Whether it be red or black, but I think black looks better.  They stay in place, and I am never having water come up through the scupper holes.

6. Rather than having my pliers laying on the deck, and in the way, I velcro'd them to the side of the hull on the right side.  Low profile, and won't budge.  If I roll the yak, they are tethered, so they arn't going anywhere.

7. In front of the seat is that small place big enough to hold a 3600 Plano box. But I swap out lures too often, so having one box there was pointless.  I found a plastic storage container at the dollar tree, black/grey in color that fit in that space perfectly.  I use that container to hold my terminal tackle.  I went to my local veterinarian because I knew they carried red prescription bottles that they send home with medicine for animals.  So they all match each other, as well as the red matching the kayak. I can easily fit 9 of them in that container.  I am going to place some velcro inside on the bottom, as well as on the bottom of the bottles.  If I happen to roll the kayak, I won't need to worry about losing them  But they'd float for a bit anyway.  The velcro is an option there.

8. the seat is very comfortable.  For some reason, I was getting a bad leg cramp after the 3-4 hour time period of sitting.  I purchased a memory foam seat pad, as you see in the picture.  I have yet to try it on the water to see if that would remedy the problem, but I will test that out in April.

9. I use a black crate with (4) black vertical rod holders for my (3) rods/ (1) net.  I only carry (3) 3600 plano boxes, and my ziplock bag of all my plastics. I certainly don't need much room to handle lures.  I'll take the boxes, or worms out and place them on the deck, in front of the seat when fishing.  When done, I place them in the crate and continue on.  THe crate is secured in place by clips, and the bungee cord that came with the kayak.

10. I made my own reflective flag which is held in place with some pad-eyes inside the crate. I had some close calls last year where jon boats would come really close to me while I was fishing close to shore.   I don't know how they couldn't see me, but whatever, better safe than sorry.

11. behind that crate, is where I keep my dry bag.  That holds my first aid kit, dry clothes, rain suit, and if needed, toilet paper (never leave home without it)

12. The kayak staple - an anchor trolley.  I don;t use it for an anchor, but rather a drift sock.  works perfectly.

13.  I installed my transducer in the area underneath the kayak that was meant for it.  I just got the fish finder, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Now the eye candy.  Here are pictures of my set up.

apiazza

Good info crankbait. This is running thread so no worries bringing it back up. I've been fishing and not tinkering...that's about to change though.

I keep rod gloves on my rods i'm not actively fishing. It adds a couple minutes to the swap, but helps reduce tree tangles or rod to rod when moving them around. Glad you made it out safe. That time of year can be very dangerous to go for a swim.

Your crate must be a bit narrower than mine. I wanted to spin my crate 90 degrees to be in same orientation as yours (rods port and starboard), but it wont fit. not a huge deal, it just makes getting rods and into the crate a bit more annoying.

I like your pill bottle idea. I might have to steal that!

The padding on the floor is a near term project for me, especially with the quarantine it will give me something to do.

I keep my pliers tethered to my pfd and stored in my right chest pocket. Phone is tethered and in my left chest pocket.

I just bought a Garmin Echomap 63cv. I'm planning to do a temporary mounting arrangement to determine what my long term plan is. I am going to utilize the battery holder for now and I purchased a yakattack fish finder mount to run on the left track. running it on top of the battery box is too far away and cumbersome to get to, in my opinion. If that placement works I plan to squeeze the battery and hopefully a box inside the dry hatch and use the new yakattack through fittings to run the transducer and power cabled through the hull to the FF. It would keep everything clean, out of the way and allow me to keep using the battery box for a soft plastics holder and my forward storage for anchor/dry bag. I'll post up here as I work through the options.

apiazza

Temporary setup!

I'm using the factory battery box for now to verify everything. I'm going to probably run the battery inside but the dry hatch is barely big enough for the battery so I wont the able to case it. Will give update once I get out on the water to try it. The screen has me in love.

Lipripper

Looks good and you going to come up with some kind of cover to keep water off the battery? Just curious.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

apiazza

Quote from: Lipripper on March 28, 2020, 06:34:22 PM
Looks good and you going to come up with some kind of cover to keep water off the battery? Just curious.  ;D
If you look at the third picture you can see the cover where the wires are running in. That wire is to the charger so once it's connected to the battery the cover can close. Long term it will either go inside the dry compartment of the hull or I'll build a dry box and put it in forward or after cargo areas. That little factory battery box is great for soft plastics.

Lipripper

It was just a little hard to see on my cell phone screen.  ~b~ ~roflmao

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

apiazza

Quote from: Lipripper on March 28, 2020, 07:20:25 PM
It was just a little hard to see on my cell phone screen.  ~b~ ~roflmao
Is it the cell phone screen or the old man eyes lol