Cutting vs leaving line

Started by Esox obsessed, October 17, 2021, 07:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esox obsessed

When you have a tangle in your reel after untangling it are you better off cutting it or treating it like lighter line so it's not wasted (my main problem is usually the tangles will happen again if left but don't want to waste)

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Esox obsessed on October 17, 2021, 07:06:35 AM
When you have a tangle in your reel after untangling it are you better off cutting it or treating it like lighter line so it's not wasted (my main problem is usually the tangles will happen again if left but don't want to waste)

What line are you fishing with in this situation? If you have kinks and abnormalities, cut it. Depending on what reel your using, the loss of line may be forgiving.

Esox obsessed

12lb seaguar invizx and pflueger trion 30

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Esox obsessed on October 17, 2021, 07:39:54 AM

With FC, cut it as soon as you get a kink. A spinning reel is less forgiving when it gets low on the spool.

SteveTX

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on October 17, 2021, 08:39:31 AM

With FC, cut it as soon as you get a kink. A spinning reel is less forgiving when it gets low on the spool.
I completely agree I would definitely cut any kinks out. Even on mono I remove them. Much easier decision as the price of mono is cheap but to me the principal is the same. The integrity of the line has been compromised so how do you know how much drag it can take? I'm fishing to catch fish, not put hooks in their mouth and watch them swim off.

Esox obsessed

Quote from: SteveTX on October 17, 2021, 10:11:41 AM

I completely agree I would definitely cut any kinks out. Even on mono I remove them. Much easier decision as the price of mono is cheap but to me the principal is the same. The integrity of the line has been compromised so how do you know how much drag it can take? I'm fishing to catch fish, not put hooks in their mouth and watch them swim off.

I always keep a looser drag and tie to a steel leader

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Esox obsessed on October 17, 2021, 10:21:58 AM

The issue isn't the looser drag, although it does play role. But if you have kink or some line abnormality, the issue will keep re-occurring until either the line snaps while casting, or a fish breaks you off. Either way the line will fail you, its better to get ahead of it. Ask me how I know.  ~shade

Esox obsessed

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on October 17, 2021, 10:25:14 AM

The issue isn't the looser drag, although it does play role. But if you have kink or some line abnormality, the issue will keep re-occurring until either the line snaps while casting, or a fish breaks you off. Either way the line will fail you, its better to get ahead of it. Ask me how I know.  ~shade
How do you know

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Esox obsessed on October 17, 2021, 10:48:37 AM
Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on October 17, 2021, 10:25:14 AM

How do you know

Been fishing for over 35 years, lets just say, to save a buck or laziness, I have lost lures and nice fish to kinks in the line.

SteveTX

Other than a few types of fishing I remedied all my kinks. Its called braid and contrary to many naysayers it works wonders, saves tons of money, and doesn't let my fish go swimming off with my lures. If your using a steel leader you don't even have the normal reply to the braid comment as a excuse.  lo

Esox obsessed

Quote from: SteveTX on October 17, 2021, 11:45:50 AM
Other than a few types of fishing I remedied all my kinks. Its called braid and contrary to many naysayers it works wonders, saves tons of money, and doesn't let my fish go swimming off with my lures. If your using a steel leader you don't even have the normal reply to the braid comment as a excuse.  lo
Would use straight braid to a spinnerbait

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Esox obsessed on October 17, 2021, 11:58:53 AM
Quote from: SteveTX on October 17, 2021, 11:45:50 AM
Would use straight braid to a spinnerbait
It's ALL I use for all but one crankbait presentation. It has made fishing a whole lot easier by keeping everything simple and consistent.

Sent from my One Plus 9 Pro 5G using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Capt. BassinLou

If we're talking braid, then that's different. You need to watch for fraying more than anything else.

Wizard

Most spinning uses are short to medium casts or vertical presentations. On 10, 20 size reels I tie directly to the spool. 30 size and above I use a backer line and tie to it. I put enough terminal line to make my normal presentations plus enough extra to retie and a little breakage. 2 or 3 reel turns above the joined knots and on the terminal line, put a piece of tape to keep the terminal line from digging into the backer. This can happen when mating two different size lines.
When you have a small birds nest on a casting reel try this. Put your thumb over the problem and gently reel in your line. Next, slowly pull line from the reel while keeping pressure on the spool with our thumb. When you reach the nest, slowly pull line from the spool while keeping pressure on the spool. Often the nest disappears with no damage to the line. If some of the nest is recovered but not all of it, do the procedure once again. If it doesn't work do it old school. Cuss, shake your fist and get out a small darning needle to pick it apart.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

I think wizard hit it the best, try his method and remember to pull gently so you don't kink the line, once you do that the line is shot up to that point. I have 1 of those little pocket multi tools, 5-10$ with a pick on it, it's the only tool I use, take the time to find the tangle and carefully pick it apart. Is it's really really bad follow Bill Dance's advice, buy a new reel. lo lo Just kidding.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

loomisguy

Sounds like you may be over filling the spool or closing the bail with the handle rather than by hand.
I would try to eliminate the loops that are causing the issues. As was said, braid is another option.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: loomisguy on October 19, 2021, 04:40:24 AM
Sounds like you may be over filling the spool or closing the bail with the handle rather than by hand.
I would try to eliminate the loops that are causing the issues. As was said, braid is another option.

Also try lifting the rod tip a couple of inches or pulling the line gently to take any slack out of the reel befor turning the handle.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

jwkelley51

If the bait casters tangle I cut it out or stop using it, respool when I get home as a rule. My experience is it will break on a cast, snag or fish anyway. I use braid to leader on spinning reels and it's only happened once. If it is happening on a spinner you may be using too small of a reel...that was my issue and I never used it again and no issues after.

big g

I have to agree with all that said cut it out.  An example of laziness at work, was the other day I felt a little rough spot about a foot above the hook tie.  I thought about changing but didn't.  I set the hook and brought a big old girl thirty yards and two airborne jumps.  Five yards from the bank she took one last jump and was gone.  About a foot above the hook tie it broke!  Stupid is what stupid does!  100% preventable! 
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on November 05, 2021, 01:25:47 PM
I have to agree with all that said cut it out.  An example of laziness at work, was the other day I felt a little rough spot about a foot above the hook tie.  I thought about changing but didn't.  I set the hook and brought a big old girl thirty yards and two airborne jumps.  Five yards from the bank she took one last jump and was gone.  About a foot above the hook tie it broke!  Stupid is what stupid does!  100% preventable!

Don't you hate that George.  ~xyz Thanks for sharing.

big g

Quote from: Capt. BassinLou on November 05, 2021, 01:31:54 PM
Quote from: big g on November 05, 2021, 01:25:47 PM

Don't you hate that George.  ~xyz Thanks for sharing.

Three guys close to me that saw the whole thing, felt worse then I did!  I knew who to blame and could only laugh, she won that battle! ~fff
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.