Lithium battery weight is shocking.

Started by topdsm0138, March 02, 2022, 10:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topdsm0138

Even though they are way out of mine and others price range (please see disclaimer), they are not for for a few here. With that said, I saw the guys here who use them posts, so I did what any curious angler would do. I went to see what the "fuss" was all about.

I like many others here run a traditional Group size 27 battery. Keep in mind that the average weight for one is about 52lbs. The equivalent of a bag of sand or concrete from your local hardware store. So the local Bass Pro had both types sitting side by side with a "Feel The Difference" sign above them. Challenge accepted BPS... I grab the regular group 27 and yank up just like a normal car battery, ok it weighs as normal as can be. Next up, the Lithium "Group 27". I steady myself and get ready for the normal "battery yank" as we all know. Now ladies and gentlemen, let me put this into a quick perspective here. I am not Capt America by any means, or a bigger built dude. No, I'm just your average build, scrawny run of the mill man. So I go to yank this battery up as many others and I about dang near chucked it over my shoulder and almost into the shelf next to me. It's ok, you can laugh now..I sure did as did the BPS employees.

I was really surprised at the battery being less than half the weight of the AGM style. So my perspective and opinion, if you are someone looking to save the most amount of weight possible on say a "pond prowler", Jon boat or any other PWC that requires you to physically load, unload or shift the equipment around, these are definitely right for you.

DISCLAIMER: If you have the financial means to purchase because yes, they do cost 3-4 times more then an AGM style. So please, don't put yourself in any financial trouble, just to save a little weight unless its absolutely necessary for your application/usage. This also applies to any other items for our sport. Thank you.

Sent from undisclosed location
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

coldfront

with 3 batteries running my TM, that's about an 80 pound total weight savings over the AGMs I have now.  and I think a 3-4 times longer life span?

Capt. BassinLou

Yep! I love my lithium battery on my basshunter. Took me awhile to get used to how light it was. Has not let me down yet, and I have pushed it. 100% power the whole time!!  :shocking: :shocking:

apenland01

That's why I went with a lithium for the new house battery I'm installing for isolating the power to my new graphs.  Group 31 Ionic 125ah, which is WAY overkill, but at $780ish, it's only twice as much as a high quality AGM, half the weight and double the warranty.  Plus, a 125ah won't even get down to 80% discharge after a whole day of fishing.  And having a real time bluetooth readout on your battery while you're on the water is a pretty neat tool as well....

Princeton_Man

You're looking at an even bigger weight difference when replacing the 67+ pound group 31 AGMs that some of us run. My GYLL Lithiums from Dobyns Rods weigh 24lbs each. That made my stern 86lbs lighter and I can definitely feel and see the difference. Looking back, I wish I'd done it sooner. Buying Lithium the batteries is right up there, buying the Ultrex, the Flow-Rite Remote Drain Plug, Boat Buckles, and a Generac Home Stand-by generator, no regrets, wish i'd done it sooner.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

caddyjoe77

im getting some when the group 31 interstate die
BeerMe

apenland01

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on March 02, 2022, 07:08:39 PM
im getting some when the group 31 interstate die

That's where I'm at.  I have a pair of 31 X2 AGM that I got a year ago and a 31 X2 AGM cranking battery I got last month.  The warranty is 4 years, so unless I find somewhere to put them, I'll be running 1 lithium for the house battery on the graphs and 3 AGM for everything else...