Are Lithium Batteries Dangerous?

Started by Bud Kennedy, January 25, 2023, 08:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

Just wondering what folks know about a potential fire hazard with their Lithium batteries in their boat.  Seems like each week there are reports about battery fires in electronic devices or motor vehicles. 

topdsm0138

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on January 25, 2023, 08:16:40 PM
Just wondering what folks know about a potential fire hazard with their Lithium batteries in their boat.  Seems like each week there are reports about battery fires in electronic devices or motor vehicles.
Lithium in our batteries are not submerged in water/electrolyte solution like traditional batteries, but rather a mineral oil blend. Why?, because Lithium when exposed to water, chemically reacts. This reaction between Lithium and water cause the Lithium to produce Hydrogen gas. Not really a problem except, it produces hydtogen at such an accelerated rate that the hydrogen gas byproduct self ignites. Remember the Hindenberg?

This info is NOT meant to scare anyone as we have a lot of members who use them and they really are great batteries. No, this is just a friendly safety reminder to occasionally inspect your Lithium batteries to ensure that there is no damage to the casing/housing and to ensure that they are firmly secured.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

caddyjoe77

Bud do you have any specific data on this topic?  I looked a bit and found no stats, just news stories trying to get clicks.

Now, thats not to say I dont think it's possible, plenty of osha articles on the subject and other information; for example from the national fire fighters org (cant remember the name).    I think it boils down to what top said:  Pay attention to your batteries.  Buy quality batteries with good  battery management systems.  Should be part of your normal maintenance just like with lead acid. 
BeerMe

Bud Kennedy

No data here.  I was just wondering about it.  I keep seeing stories about electric cars catching fire or electric bikes, cell phones, etc, etc.   With the widening use of lithium batteries in our boats I was just wondering if there were similar possibilities.

J.W.

There are lots of different types of lithium batteries out there in use, some types are inherently less stable than others and require more precaution. They are not all the same. Every lithium battery that I've seen currently on the market for use in boats and RVs are lithium iron phosphate batteries (LiFePO4), and are not as susceptible to thermal runaway as the other types. It can happen, but it's usually misuse (like incorrect charger), damage (like case punctures), or faulty manufacturing. If you buy a quality battery that has an onboard battery management system (including a cold temperature charging shut-off), use the correct charger, and keep your batteries tied down securely, there shouldn't be a problem. They charge quickly, give a nice flat voltage curve that's easier on your electronics, and you won't have to tuck your hernia back in after picking one up.  ;D
But, yeah, being aware of what can go wrong is essential knowledge for anything that could become dangerous on your boat.

big g

Just heard a Tesla went up in flames while driving at normal highways cruising speed.  No warning, just spontaneous flames from the battery compartment.  Fire department said it took 8,000 gallons of water to finally put it out. ~sweat
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: big g on January 30, 2023, 06:00:48 PM
Just heard a Tesla went up in flames while driving at normal highways cruising speed.  No warning, just spontaneous flames from the battery compartment.  Fire department said it took 8,000 gallons of water to finally put it out. ~sweat
Pumping 8k gallons of water onto a Tesla fire probably spreads all kinds of toxins over a very large area. It seems to me it might be wiser to just let it burn itself out, then replace the damaged asphalt. Maybe Tesla should include a giant fire blanket with every car.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

topdsm0138

Recap:

*Are they dangerous? No
*Can they be dangerous? Yes, especially if they are damaged, mishandled or abused, as with ANY chemical item.

I believe J.W. has summed it up best with, make sure you are using the correct type of charger for your style battery. He's right in the fact that there are different types of "mixtures" with the Lithium that are not compatible with all types of chargers.
IE: You wouldn't pour gas in a diesel engine or put straight fuel in a 2-stroke would you? Because it's not designed for that.

They are a great advancement in allowing us to save some weight and easier to handle for people with "tiny boats", who load and unload by themselves. So if you are considering grabbing one, PLEASE read the label carefully and do your research on what will be the correct and best charger type for your battery composition.

Stay safe and enjoy your time on the water without worry.

Sent from undisclosed location. -Tiller Mafia
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont