Got a new reel in today (pics)

Started by Dark3, February 20, 2023, 11:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark3

Beautiful left hand JDM reel in a 70 size and High Gear. Extremely smooth and sturdy feeling in the hand. You can certainly feel the weight though at 7.8 ounces. Features the MGL3 Spool and it clicks like a spinning reel when the drag slips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

Very sharp. I always loved their look. They are an amazing reel as well.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Smallie_Stalker

That looks like a killer combo! 

Mixed feelings about that drag making noise though. 

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Mike Cork

The noise is just an indication. It's found in several of the JDM reels.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pferox

That drag sound can be a good thing, when in the heat of battle, you loose track of what is going on, and you start getting spooled, it brings you back to reality.
It is also a training aid for beginners as to when to reel and when to wait.
It is essential for some folks on spinning gear because it helps to keep line twist down, by telling the angler not to reel while the drag is operating.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Mike Cork on February 20, 2023, 12:57:46 PM

Quote from: Pferox on February 20, 2023, 02:09:44 PM
That drag sound can be a good thing, when in the heat of battle, you loose track of what is going on, and you start getting spooled, it brings you back to reality.
It is essential for some folks on spinning gear because it helps to keep line twist down, by telling the angler not to reel while the drag is operating.

In general I like the idea. I like it on spinning reels and think it would definitely be useful in a casting reel. I'm just thinking whatever the mechanism is, it's another part (or set of parts) that can fail. Could be an easy fix if it does IDK.

Was sort of just thinking out loud. Didn't mean to shake the hay. 

Sorry Dark if I got the thread off track.

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Dark3

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on February 20, 2023, 02:58:16 PM
Quote from: Mike Cork on February 20, 2023, 12:57:46 PM

Quote from: Pferox on February 20, 2023, 02:09:44 PM

In general I like the idea. I like it on spinning reels and think it would definitely be useful in a casting reel. I'm just thinking whatever the mechanism is, it's another part (or set of parts) that can fail. Could be an easy fix if it does IDK.

Was sort of just thinking out loud. Didn't mean to shake the hay. 

Sorry Dark if I got the thread off track.
You absolutely did not. I just wanted to share some of these reels for those talking points. Thanks for sharing.

J.W.

Donald Garner

Congrats on the new piece of equipment.  That combo looks great.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

BassmanRudy

Great looking combo! And $$$ too with that Antares lol. Don't let your buddies use it! J/K man hope you catch a ton of bass on it.
"Rudy"
I use Mister Twister Baits!
www.mistertwister.com

Dark3

Quote from: BassmanRudy on February 21, 2023, 12:51:09 PM
Great looking combo! And $$$ too with that Antares lol. Don't let your buddies use it! J/K man hope you catch a ton of bass on it.
I bets it was ALOT less expensive than you think. JPY is real nice sometimes combined with the right source.