Gear Ratio for Crankbait Rod?

Started by J.W., May 03, 2023, 07:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.W.

Finally got the Kaden 610-4CB I've been wanting for a while. Now I need to put a reel on it.
I plan on using it for cranking obviously, with most crankbaits I throw being squarebills or traps. I also throw poppers, rogues, and spooks quite a bit. Trying to figure out which reel speed would be the best do-all speed for that stuff. I'm thinking a 7:1, but wanted to hear y'all's thoughts.

caddyjoe77

Quote from: J.W. on May 03, 2023, 07:08:55 AM
Finally got the Kaden 610-4CB I've been wanting for a while. Now I need to put a reel on it.
I plan on using it for cranking obviously, with most crankbaits I throw being squarebills or traps. I also throw poppers, rogues, and spooks quite a bit. Trying to figure out which reel speed would be the best do-all speed for that stuff. I'm thinking a 7:1, but wanted to hear y'all's thoughts.

me personally i prefer a 6.3 for that kind of thing.  but, 7.1 should be fine
BeerMe

apenland01

I know the theory is a lower speed reel, but I use a high speed reel and adjust my retrieve if I need to be slow.  I like being able to bring line in quickly when needed or burning a bait...

J.W.

Quote from: apenland01 on May 03, 2023, 08:32:54 AM
I know the theory is a lower speed reel, but I use a high speed reel and adjust my retrieve if I need to be slow.  I like being able to bring line in quickly when needed or burning a bait...

Yeah, I transplanted the 8:1 Tatula Elite I had on another rod over onto it for a little while the other day, just to try out the new crankbait rod, and the reel seemed to do ok with the 1/4 oz trap I was throwing. I didn't try much else with it though, other than a 1/8 oz Rebel Pop-R, which seemed too light for reel. It didn't want to cast very far at all and was prone to backlashing. I probably could have fiddled with brake and spool tension, but I think it would probably be better to just get some heavier poppers and throw the little 1/8 oz ones on a spinning rod.

Dink Dawg

I'm a firm believer that cranking with lures that have little resistance allow for a faster ratio. Lures with moderate resistance can still use a mid ratio but a 100 mm handle is a must to reduce fatigue.  Those lures with substantial resistance (20 footers) are best suited with a 5: something to 1 ratio and a 100 mm handle. 

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Dink Dawg on May 04, 2023, 01:41:10 AM
I'm a firm believer that cranking with lures that have little resistance allow for a faster ratio. Lures with moderate resistance can still use a mid ratio but a 100 mm handle is a must to reduce fatigue.  Those lures with substantial resistance (20 footers) are best suited with a 5: something to 1 ratio and a 100 mm handle.
I agree 100%.

I prefer 95mm handles in general and they can make for a good all around compromise but the 100mm handle is definitely better where Doug mentioned here.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Hobious

7 ish for me.  the rod is constantly loaded anyways, so at this point it is all about just getting the bait to swim right.

skidemn

I bought the same KD610-4 during the American Legacy Fishing 40% back sale and took it on my Parker, AZ trip for throwing jerkbaits. It is hands down the best rod for that purpose I've ever used. I also threw squarebills on it as well, and it does that equally well. I chose the JDM Shimano SLX DC XT since it has the newest I-DC5 version of their digital cast control, and went with the 6.2:1 ratio. This thing does cast a country mile, even into a strong wind, so it's exactly what I'd hoped. That said, I got the 6.2 because I was concerned I'd take up slack line too fast with the HG (7.4:1) version, and end up accidentally moving the bait slightly during the pause. After fishing it for 4 days I can comfortably say I think I would have been fine with the HG version which would also allow me to burn squarebills faster over the rocks and rip throw the weeds. In any case, I'm super happy with this rig and either way you go with the gear ratio should serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smallie_Stalker

I have a Daiwa Tatula SV TW 103 in the 7 gear ratio on mine. Use it primarily for jerkbaits but also cranks and poppers.

This is by far one of my favorite rods that Dobyns makes.

J.W.

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on May 04, 2023, 06:00:29 PM
I have a Daiwa Tatula SV TW 103 in the 7 gear ratio on mine. Use it primarily for jerkbaits but also cranks and poppers.

How do you like the SV spool? I like my Tatula a lot, but it doesn't have that spool.

Smallie_Stalker

It was a game changer for me. Once you get it set correctly for the lure you're throwing it's pretty hard to backlash even with no thumb on the spool IF, and this is a key if, you don't cast too hard. You learn to get a feel for it pretty quickly.

It also is easier to cast lighter baits without a backlash.

IMO the perfect Daiwas are the ones with the SV spool but without the T-Wing. But they're hard to find cause nobody wants to part with them. If you do find one you practically have to take out a second  mortgage on your home to pay for it. Just kidding but they are too expensive for me to buy.

skidemn

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on May 05, 2023, 03:03:33 PM

IMO the perfect Daiwas are the ones with that say Shimano on them.

There, fixed it for you!
I actually like both brands, but I have many more Shimano reels because I love those MGL and Metanium models! That said, I do love my new Daiwa Elite Pitchin/Flipping reel!

loomisguy

I love the old Citica E series reels for squarebills and medium divers. Works fine for stickbaits also. They are fast for a 6.3 ratio, 27 IPT if memory serves.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: skidemn on May 05, 2023, 06:16:57 PM

IMO the perfect Daiwas are the ones with that say Shimano on them.

There, fixed it for you!
I actually like both brands, but I have many more Shimano reels because I love those MGL and Metanium models! That said, I do love my new Daiwa Elite Pitchin/Flipping reel!

I know in the past Shimano has actually paired up with other  companies for certain things.

I had a couple reels that said both Lew's AND Shimano on them. They were definitely a Shimano Bantam reel for that time period, looked just like my other Bantams. Not sure how the Lew's branding fit in.

I've also got some Storm Hot 'n Tot crankbaits and a Storm Thunderstick (all post Rapala) that say Shimano on them.

Back in the 90's Rapala had a "Fishing Club" you joined for $5 a year. You got a free Rapala lure, lure keychain, decals and 4 mini mags a year with occasional field test opportunities.  Sometime around 2000 Shimano partnered with Rapala Fishing Club and had their own version with the exact same perks and mini mags, but geared towards Shimano instead of Rapala. It was obvious that the mini mags were printed by the same company.

Would be interesting to see a reel partnership between Daiwa and Shimano someday. Bet it would make for an interesting piece of machinery.

Dink Dawg

It was a game changer for me. Once you get it set correctly for the lure you're throwing it's pretty hard to backlash even with no thumb on the spool IF, and this is a key if, you don't cast too hard. You learn to get a feel for it pretty quickly.

It also is easier to cast lighter baits without a backlash.

IMO the perfect Daiwas are the ones with the SV spool but without the T-Wing. But they're hard to find cause nobody wants to part with them. If you do find one you practically have to take out a second  mortgage on your home to pay for it. Just kidding but they are too expensive for me to buy.

SV 103 was and is the best reel Daiwa ever produced. Mine will out last me.

Smallie_Stalker

Definitely agree Doug!

J.W.

The T-wing doesn't bother me like it does some folks, so I might get the Tatula SV 103 TW then. That's actually the reel I was going to buy when I got my Tatula Elite, but they didn't have it in a left hand model at the store.

Rusty63

I have a slightly different way to measure other than gear ratio. I have used ipt- inch per turn. KVD has said that his crankbaits were designed for 25-26 ipt. David Fritts from berkley said most of his designs work best at 21- 24 ipt. I haven't been good with rhythm for several years now and I depend solely on reel retrieve speed to work the lures right. I have faster reels that I used for jigs and t-rigs

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Rusty63 on May 13, 2023, 10:25:36 PM
I have a slightly different way to measure other than gear ratio. I have used ipt- inch per turn. KVD has said that his crankbaits were designed for 25-26 ipt. David Fritts from berkley said most of his designs work best at 21- 24 ipt. I haven't been good with rhythm for several years now and I depend solely on reel retrieve speed to work the lures right. I have faster reels that I used for jigs and t-rigs
I agree 100%. IPT is my way of picking a cranking reel.

It just so happens that as a general gear ratio and IPT are related so as you go lower the IPT decreases and vice-versa.

The longer reel handles mentioned will help fight the torque on a deep crankbait so my dep cranking reels have a low gear ratio/low IPT and a longer handle while my shallow cranking reels have a high gear ratio/IPT and my preferred 95mm handles.

As anglers it's possible to get as technique specific with a reel as it is with a rod.

Rusty63

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on May 14, 2023, 12:01:40 PM
Quote from: Rusty63 on May 13, 2023, 10:25:36 PM
I agree 100%. IPT is my way of picking a cranking reel.

It just so happens that as a general gear ratio and IPT are related so as you go lower the IPT decreases and vice-versa.

The longer reel handles mentioned will help fight the torque on a deep crankbait so my dep cranking reels have a low gear ratio/low IPT and a longer handle while my shallow cranking reels have a high gear ratio/IPT and my preferred 95mm handles.

As anglers it's possible to get as technique specific with a reel as it is with a rod.

Absolutely with a bait caster but spinning reels are all over the place the gear ratios and the spool size vary so much. I haven't seen a need for these super high speed reels that have come out recently.