Skies: Overcast (Drizzling Rain)
Temps: Lower 70's
Water clarity: Clear
Water level: slightly down with current
Fishing time: 0645-1230
Bass Boated: 16
Top 5 bass: 10 lbs
Productive baits: spinnerbait, swimbait, swimjig

I was pumped to fish the Marshlands this morning. Arrived at 0 dark thirty and launched in the dark!
I headed straight to the area I fished last week that yielded me those nice bass.

Started with a swimbait. Nothing. Spinnerbait, nothing! Hmmm,, 1 hour into the trip and not one bass to be caught or seen.

Fished the swimjig. Nothing! Switched to frog, quickly put it away.

0930 rolled around, and I had 0 bass in the basshunter. I had to make some decisions. Stay the course or change areas. I changed areas.

Fortunately, I did. Over 3 hrs into the trip, I landed my first bass. A little baby bass. On the spinnerbait. Lol!! Shortly after, I caught my first 2 lbr. On a swimbait. The bass began to come alive but kept biting short on the swimbait.

Switched back to the swimjig, and the bite was on. Had a bite on almost every cast!

The swimjig frenzy lasted about 30 min and then switched back to a spinnerbait.

Caught a few more bass here and there. Once the rain moved in, the conditions changed, and so did the bite.

Unfortunately, I had to get going. Boated 16 bass, the biggest was just shy of 3lbs.

Not the outing I was anticipating, but I'm happy I managed to put a pattern together.

Thanks for reading!

FlatsNBay

Sounds like a fun day once you got going. Gotta love the swim jig!

big g

Good job Lou, that's the way to figure out a pattern and a location.  Great job again!
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on January 19, 2024, 03:42:18 PMSounds like a fun day once you got going. Gotta love the swim jig!

Thank you Steve. The swimjig is very fun and and effective bait for sure!

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: big g on January 19, 2024, 09:18:23 PMGood job Lou, that's the way to figure out a pattern and a location.  Great job again!

Thank you George, appreciate the kind words!

FlatsNBay

How was your hook up ratio with the swim jig compared to a Swimbait? Did you notice any difference?

I remembered interviewing a couple of pros for an article and was surprised that none of them liked to use a weedless Swimbait because of a pooter hookup ratio. All chose to use a swim jig instead.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on January 20, 2024, 07:25:25 AMHow was your hook up ratio with the swim jig compared to a Swimbait? Did you notice any difference?

I remembered interviewing a couple of pros for an article and was surprised that none of them liked to use a weedless Swimbait because of a pooter hookup ratio. All chose to use a swim jig instead.
Great question, I was literally editing that as we speak on my video. Too funny!!

I had a much better hook up ratio with the swimjig yesterday versus the swimbait.

The bass struck the swimbait short most of the time but inhaled the swimjig.

Donald Garner

Lou, tks for sharing the trip with us.  Congrats on the catching and tks for sharing those pictures with us also.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard