PFDs - Are We Using Them Properly?

Started by Heagster, December 31, 2006, 07:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heagster

Steel City Members,

I am looking for your opinion.

Do you feel that the participants in our tournaments are consistently wearing their personal floatation devices when the outboard engine is in operation?

I have been asked to explore this issue by a member who tells me that there are some of our members that don't even get their PFDs out of the rod locker.

If we have a problem in this area, the winter meetings are when we can fix it.

Thanks.

Heagster
Larry Heagy
President of the Steel City Bassmasters

cable guy

most is alright but there are those few,they surely should know by now, but some folks dont listen, i dont think its a problem though, if you see some 1 out there say something to them.im sure they wouldnt want to be disqualifed ~xyz
god grant that i may live to fish until my dying day and when it comes to my last cast i then most humbly pray when in the lords safe landing net i"m peacefully asleep that in his mercy i be judged as good enough to keep. member BASS,ILLINOIS FEDERATION

BULLETT82

Do the rules clearly state that the pfd's are to be worn at take or anytime the outboard is in operation?

Heagster

Here is how it is stated directly from our tournament rules.

7.  All contestants are required to wear an approved personal floatation device (life jacket) while their outboard motor is in operation.
Larry Heagy
President of the Steel City Bassmasters

WebBASSter

Everyone I've fished with has always followed the rule but then I've only fished with two guys.  If it IS an issue we could make it part of the livewell check.  That way we know guys are at least getting them out of their lockers.  Enforcing this rule could be very difficult, especially with the smaller auto-inflatable devices now.  Would you be able to tell if a guy has one on or not as he passes at 60MPH?

On a related note.  I'm thinking about getting one of those little auto-inflatable PFD's.  Those of you who have them... what do you think about them?  Are they worth the extra money?  Ever had the "pill" get wet in the rain and have the thing inflate on ya?  Are they light weight and comfortable enough to wear all day or do you still find yourself taking it off at times?

Thanks
-D

ddeadmond

Here is my two-cents worth:  There are guys in this club that do not wear their PFD'S because I have seen them several times...  They know who they are...  If we are going to enforce ANY rule, we need to enforce ALL rules!!!  That is just my opinion and I know I am just one vote.

Doug Deadmond