Alaska Fishing Reports: Anchorage Area

Started by silversalmon, May 03, 2005, 08:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silversalmon

Salmon — Ship Creek  May 3rd 2005
·      Recent warm weather has increased run-off, raised stream levels, and made water muddy.  A few kings have poked their noses into the Ship Creek, but don't expect the run to begin yet. 

·      Ship Creek remains the only stream in the Anchorage area open to salmon fishing at this time :'(

·     All other waters in the Anchorage management area are currently closed to king salmon fishing :'(

This means folks that if your travels take you to Anchorage for King fishing(the run really does not pick up till around the 15th of May) that you will be fighting off about 5,000 other folks waiting in line on the banks to fish ~rant Looks like I will personaly avoid ship creek this year, unless things change, hopefully they do ::)

Northern Pike
·      Northern pike are now spawning in the shallows.  Big spawning pike may sometimes be found in water only ankle deep.  This makes them vulnerable to both spears and bow and arrow (the arrow must be attached to the bow), both legal methods in Anchorage.  Fish in shallow nearshore waters right now.   ~c~ ~c~

·      There is no bag limit on pike.  Try Cheney, Sand, and Lower Fire lakes

There are always loads of pike around to take. In the Fairbanks area though, we cannot fish them until June 1st :'(

United States Air Force 1994-present

Fish4FunInFl

My brother n law get his pc fixed he may enjoy these post. Him and my sister have lived in Alaska for over 20 years. ( Muldoon < sp > area of Anchorage, near Elmendorf < sp > for about 10 years,) Now for past 10 + years, in Eagle River / Peter's Creek area
Fish4FunInFl

Mike Cork

Definately let him know about them, plus with the PM network you guys could chat a bit :-* We need more folks on line to help Silver out up there :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

I have freinds in low places to help me along also lo Will update as more reports roll in, to include other areas ~c~

Mike Cork

Way Cool, at this rate you should have some local members before long :-*

Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

silversalmon

TRIP DATE:  5/5
REGION:  Anchorage
WATER:  Twenty Mile River
SPECIES:  Hoolies

REPORT: We decided to make the run out to Twentymile and hit the evening outgoing tide. We dipped underneath the railroad bridge opposite from everyone else. We managed to get only a bucket's worth in about an hour. Not bad 'cause we expected not to catch anything cause it's really early in the run. Give it another week for anything major. Dress warm.... WINDY!!!

Thanks to the Anchorage anglers for this report ~c~

silversalmon

Fresh Waters
Salmon — Ship Creek
·      A few kings have been seen at Ship Creek, but only one confirmed catch – a 22-pound chromer.  Water levels and water clarity remain good. ~c~ 

·      Ship Creek is the only stream in the Anchorage area open to salmon fishing at this time.  :'(

·      All other waters in the Anchorage management area are currently closed to king salmon fishing. :'(

Resident Fish
·      Ship Creek rainbow trout fishing in the catch & release only area remains fair.  The stream level and water clarity now favor improved catch rates.

·      If you want to harvest a rainbow trout, fish either Campbell Creek or Chester Creek.  Rainbow fishing at these creeks should also be fair.  On Campbell Creek you may keep rainbow trout only if you are downstream of the forks located by Piper Street.  Campbell Creek was stocked with rainbow trout this week  ~c~

Lake Fishing
·      The ice is gone from local lakes, and the stocking truck is rolling.  Rainbow trout have been stocked into Jewel, Delong, and Hillberg lakes and Campbell Creek. ~c~  Remember the limit per day (not per lake) is 5 rainbows, only one over 20 inches.

silversalmon

Fresh Waters
Salmon — Ship Creek
A few kings are showing at Ship Creek with each tide, and several more have been caught. Expect fishing to improve slowly but consistently over the next few weeks.  Water levels are high and water clarity is a bit on the low side. :'( :'(   
The 2005 Ship Creek King Salmon Derby will take place from June 3 through June 12. ~c~ ~c~ No fish counts as of yet :'(
Ship Creek is the only stream in the Anchorage area open to salmon fishing at this time. :'( All other streams are closed to any salmon fishing, including jacks. Watch out for the crowds :'(
All other waters in the Anchorage management area are currently closed to king salmon fishing. :'(
Resident Fish
Ship Creek rainbow trout fishing, in the catch & release only area, remains fair.  The stream is high and water clarity is poor right now.
Campbell Creek has been stocked with rainbow trout.  You may harvest trout only downstream of the North Fork/South Fork confluence, which is near Piper Street.  Water levels are a bit high due to the warm weather. Chester Creek has not yet been stocked with rainbows.
Lake Fishing
Rainbow trout have been stocked into about half the local lakes. ~c~  Remember, the limit is 5 per day, not 5 per lake, and only one fish may be over 20 inches.

silversalmon

A few good kings are now being reported as being caught out of Ship Creek, still rather slow going though :'( Remember the bridge is under construction but is now open to foot traffic ~c~ ~c~ Parking by the old culverts is very limited due to the construction equipment so be on the look out for that. The fish are starting to show, but keep in mind with the dam construction their holding areas have changed  :-* , so where you caught one last year, may not produce this year, you are gonna need to experiment :-*

Edmunds Lake, Fish Lake, Otter Lake, Spring Lake and Triangle Lake were all stocked on the 18th of May ~c~ ~c~

silversalmon

Ship creek is starting to pick up. Fish the high tides ~c~ ~c~  Fish have been caught with the most success on the Inn side of the creek near the wire using pink corkies ~c~ Also, some success has been reported by the old boat where the culverts used to be ~c~ Still lookin at about 3-4 hours of line time for a fish :)

silversalmon

The Comfort Inn side of the creek near the wire and handicapp area is producing the best catches ~c~ Two hours before high tide till about 1 hour after is the best reports thus far. Reports of 7 fish caught in that time frame yesterday, in that location. Good luck to yous ~c~ ~c~ A blue corkie and a chartuse yarn fly was the lure of choice

silversalmon

Salmon — Ship Creek & Eagle River

The "Slam'n Salmon Fish For Charity Derby" starts Friday, June 3, at 0600 at Ship Creek.
King salmon fishing has been hot  ~c~  ~c~  ;PEP) on the flood tides. Spinners, bait, corkies – everything has been catching kings at Ship Creek.
King salmon fishing at Eagle River was very slow last weekend  :'(. It will open again at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, June 4. It will remain open through midnight, Monday, June 6.
All other Anchorage Management Area streams are closed to all salmon fishing, including fishing for jacks.

Campbell Creek and Chester Creek remain your best options in town for rainbow and Dolly Varden. Both streams have been stocked with rainbows and streams conditions are very good.

Local stocked lakes continue to provide good catches of rainbow trout. The evening hours are your best time to fish.
Remember, the limit is 5 per day, not 5 per lake, and only one rainbow may be over 20 inches.
Arctic char have been stocked into Sand Lake and Campbell Point Lake.

Reports are coming in from all over that this is one of the hottest spots in the state right now. All fish are of good size and plump ~c~ ~c~ 20 fish hooked into within three hours ~c~ ~c~ Fish are being caught within 20 minutes of anglers arrival :shocking: ;PEP) The only bad thing, elbow to elbow with a waiting line :'( :'(

silversalmon

Fresh Waters

Salmon — Ship Creek & Eagle River

The "Slam'n Salmon Fish For Charity Derby" at Ship Creek weighed 80 fish at derby headquarters Sunday and fishing remains great. This derby benefits the Downtown Soup Kitchen.
King salmon fishing has been hot on the flood tides, with the evening flood still producing the best catches. Kings are being caught on just about everything: spinners, bait, Corkies, yarn flies – you name it.  ~c~ ~c~ ;PEP) The average size King being caught out of Ship Creek in right around 30 pounds. People are having the best luck downstream of the C street bridge. The action is HOT HOT HOT, but elbow to elbow people. Catchin limits within 20 miuntes ~c~ ~c~  The Eklutna Tailrace is finally starting to pick up. Still really slow though, expect long hours in the water to get a fish. :'(
King salmon fishing at Eagle River continues to be slow :'(. It will open again at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, June 11. It will remain open through midnight, Monday, June 13.
Resident Fish

Campbell Creek and Chester Creek remain your best options in town for rainbow and Dolly Varden. Both streams have been stocked with rainbows and streams conditions are very good.  ~c~ ~c~
Lake Fishing

The evening continue to be the best time to fish local stocked lakes.
The lakes will soon be stocked a second time.
Last fall, Campbell Point Lake was stocked with some over 20 inch Arctic char brood stock.  ;PEP)

silversalmon

King salmon fishing at Ship Creek continues to be hot, with the flood tides still producing the best catches ~c~ ;PEP). Yesterday, just before high tide, three king salmon were landed within five minutes right between the two bridges – fishing is hot.  :shocking: :shocking:
Ship Creek closes to all fishing from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. Fishing must stop for the day at 11:00 p.m., and cannot begin until 6:00 a.m.  ~shade
King salmon fishing at Eagle River continues to be slow. :'( This will be the last weekend opening and fishing starts at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, June 18. It will remain open through midnight, Monday, June 20
Fishing on Ship Creek now is the best it ever has been in years, if you can deal with the crowds. Reports of people getting their fish within 5 to 10 minutes of arriving. ~c~ ;PEP)

silversalmon

On a sidenote, I'm flying home to Oklahoma tonight and I'd just like to express my gratitude for the friendliness and generosity of the Alaskans that I've encountered while fishing here this week. I had several of the natives who were more than happy to show me how to rig up, what to use, where to use it, and even taught me their techniques. I had enjoyable conversation with many folks, and the thoughtfulness of you Alaskans has made this a trip to remember. Even though I experienced the most crowded fishing conditions I've ever seen, nearly all of the people were very understanding and courteous. I can't wait to come back.

This was a quote from a guy that came up to fish form Oklahoma on AOJ's website ~c~ ~c~

Mike Cork

That is quite a statement for Alaska, I have always heard it was full of great people :-*

Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Mike to live up there you have to be that way because you have to depend on eachother more so than you do in the lower 48  ~c~ ~c~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

silversalmon

Fishing in ship creek has SLOWED way down. There may be another push in July, but for now, SLOW :'( Gotta chase them north :-*

silversalmon

Ship creek is now past its peak and is just about  ~tumble You Anchorage bound folks, head to Kenai and the russian river, just about a 2 hour drive from Anchorage, it will be worth the trip ~c~ ~c~

Lipripper

Mike there are a lot of Texas transplats up there that's why  :roll2: :roll2:
Silver eye only need  999,600 pennies now  ~c~ ~c~ How much longer befor they show up in your area  ;D

silversalmon

Next week LIP, and keep them pennies a flowin ~c~ lo

Lipripper

silver  me will be watching for your report with  ;PHO) and me will keep on scrapping up asll the pennies me can get a hold of  ;)

silversalmon

I'll hopefully have a good report for the 5th and keepin them smelly kritters that you and DAWG have been a showin away :shocking: