Man I am really getting pissed over this fishfinder crisis I am in right now.
First I bought a Raymarine, nice unit, color, etc...and after I get it home and decide I want to install it, I get my heart set on installing it in the front of my boat off my trolling motor, since that is where I will do 95% of my fishing. After a week of calling Raytheon and Airmar about thier transducers, and looking at possible fixes, I am told that i'm the first guy to ever asked about a trolling motor mount for one of thier ducers....I returned it.
So then I buy a Humminbird 585c, nice unit again, color, on sale, etc...I was excited and it was worth getting yelled at by my wife over it...so I thought.
I guess I ended up buying a newer version of the FF that comes with a diffrent transcom ducer from Bass pro, and the ducer trolling motor hardware they sold was for the older "versions" that I didn't buy. So after buying the hardware that looked like it would work, I went home and realized it was the wrong thing. Another trip over to the store and I explain the problem and all the guys over there finally get me squared away after swapping my transducer out with the transducer that came with the floor model, because they had the hardware in stock that would fit it. Woohoo i'm all set now..so I thought.
I got home and after like 3 trips to menards, and going totally bob villa on this setup with running the wire through tubing and stuff to try to prevent it from dangling, I plug it all up and it says "Transducer not connected". So i read the manual and it said that "for a reliable transducer detection, it needs to be submerged in water". So as thick headed as I am, I go outside in the 20 degree wind and snow and fill my freaking garbage can with water and deploy the TM into it with the ducer submerged...Same error comes up.
I called humminbird and explained the problem and told them what I did. After dicking around with the unit for quite some time, they told me to go exchange it. Yea so now I have like 37 zip ties to cut and hose clamps to re-purchase (since I cut them to size) and gotta find another couple hours in my busy schedule to re-do this thing, and I have a garbage can that is frozen solid from top to bottom with ice.
I'm pretty close to just buying a long pvc pipe and marking off inches/feet on it and using it as a stupid depthfinder at this point.