Fishing Swim baits

Started by -Shawn-, December 12, 2008, 06:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Shawn-

Well it is that time of year. At least for those of us in the south. What swim baits do you throw?  I throw mattlures blugill  most of the time but for the next month or so I will be throwing a gizzard shad bait. As far as bluegill baits go Matt can not be beat!! Durabuility is good and as long as you reinforce the baits when you pull them out of the package and keep them lubed yu can catch a lot of BIG fish on them. He has some new shadsoft baits out that I will be orering very soon also.  ~c~

I am fishing the 5" Elgrande  swimbaits on a Big shock from KaRu and I love it.  I have caught fish on it up to 40' deep.  ~c~

docav

Matts baits are great theres no doubt about that. i also agree storm doesnt come close to them. if your looking for another good soft plastic swimbait look at the Optimum BLT. they have two sizes now 3" and 5". the BLT(baby line thru) allows you to run your line thru the bait and then tie on your hook. bury one point of the treble in the bait and when a fish strikes and you hook up the hook will come free. when it comes free the bait will go up the line out of the way of the hook. this keeps the bait from getting torn or ripped. some damage may still happen but its mostly from the strike. use some Mend-It to do any repairs. doug

mattdawg

Ive never used a swimbait yet and i was curious do they come set up or do you have to make a set up? Ive seen people who have wire going thre to a treble and most soft swimbaits ive seen are in like three or four packs but i dont see trebles so any help would be great.
YOUNG GUNS 4 LIFE

-Shawn-

Matt it depends on which swimbait you are Fishing.  The Matt lures bluegill comes prerigged with a 6/0 hook and has a second ring on the belly to add a second hoo if you want.

www.mattlures.com

docav

Quote from: mattdawg on December 12, 2008, 07:12:08 AM
Ive never used a swimbait yet and i was curious do they come set up or do you have to make a set up? Ive seen people who have wire going thre to a treble and most soft swimbaits ive seen are in like three or four packs but i dont see trebles so any help would be great.

there is a picture about half way down this page which shows how to rig baits the use the line thru system. doug

http://optimumbaits.com/OB2/?p=164#more-164

jstrozier

Not knockin matts lures but I have a question.
I have a ultimate bluegill that swims a bit tilted.....since out of the box

anything I can do to fix it?

Team OutCast

docav

with soft plastic swimbaits its a common problem. brand new out of the package or after sitting in your tackle box then can become bent or form to how they were laying. the fix it to boil water and dip the bait in for 5-10sec and kind of stretch it back into shape. dont stretch to hard or you will tear it in half. make sure you warm it long enough to be soft and stretchy. doug 

larrylargemouth

Quote from: docav on December 12, 2008, 12:56:50 PM
with soft plastic swimbaits its a common problem. brand new out of the package or after sitting in your tackle box then can become bent or form to how they were laying. the fix it to boil water and dip the bait in for 5-10sec and kind of stretch it back into shape. dont stretch to hard or you will tear it in half. make sure you warm it long enough to be soft and stretchy. doug 
Just started fishing swim baits last year and found this problem with a few different baits.  This tip will certainly help. ;D

WRBass

New 4" hard swimbaits are available from; Spro BBZ-1 Bluegill & Shad, Orso Swimbait Bluegill, Mattbaits 5" hard Bluegill. The Orso bluegill Gill-zilla is ugly, but a hot item; $35 to $45.
Huddleston 4" shad is OK, the 6" trout is a hot item out west and reasonable at $15.
WRB
Orso Swimbaits; http://orsoswimbaits.com/ for those who have never heard of this company, check them out.

TightLinez

The action of the El Grande Lures 5" Swimbait is amazing! It is the perfect baitfish imitation and I flat out tore them up with it on Sugar Lake. Be sure to check them out at elgrandelures.com. Jay has a 2 for 1 sale going on so hurry up! ~gf

-Shawn-

Jordan, Have you tried Fishing them on a 3/4 oz Vibrashock yet?  ~gf

Steve_W

I like the Yamamoto swim baits rigged with a jig head for open water,and I use a 6/0 gammy ewg hook and a Parasite belly weight for weedless use.rip it out of the weed edge and hold on ~shade

Steve

bass1cpr

The tip Docav gave is part of an article that was done in bassmasters last year by Byron Velvic. It was about how to tune soft plastic swimbaits and what a swimbait master does to get more and better action from them. It's a good read if you can find or have the back issue.
A fish a day keeps postal away. See fishing is relaxing.  Member B.A.S.S.  Illinois B.A.S.S. Federation Nation

-Shawn-

That Tip is on Mattlures sight also.  I heat and stretch every soft plastic swimbait. You will be amazed in the increased action.  ~gf

Band1t

I FEEL LIKE A DUMMY...BUT WHAT ARE MATTLURES????  I HEAR A LOT ABOUT EM AND WANNA GIVE EM A SHOT!  CAN I BUY THEM LOCALLY OR IS IT AN ONLINE SHOP??

-Shawn-

Band1t

TightLinez

Quote from: -Shawn- on December 13, 2008, 08:53:23 AM
Jordan, Have you tried Fishing them on a 3/4 oz Vibrashock yet?  ~gf

Not yet, but I'll definitely give it a shot. The way I've been using them has worked great so I haven't changed it up. I'll especially have to try it out when the water gets murkier. :-*

-Shawn-

I have been using them on deeper fish.  Well I was before I hsd to go bck to work.  :'(