Taught myself something new today...

Started by -Steve-, July 18, 2009, 11:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Steve-

I woke up this morning in the useual way, rolled out of bed jumped in the Drivers seat and grabbed my laptop. Checked a few messages and UB for new stuff and then picked up a book I bought the other day about Largemouth Bass and stated where I left off last night before bed. I was reading along and realized "I don't know how to pitch." I have tried a couple times with no luck and a bunch of back-lashing and gave up. Well as it turns out, it dawned on me I had no water around but I did have an empty 48' flatbed trailer. So, I jumped out and pulled my trusty Truck Rod & Reel out (6' falcon Expert w/Pflueger Summit 7.1:1) and jumped up on the trailer (actually climbed, I can't jump up 4" let alone 4')  ;D . Had a 5/8 Jig w/4" Crawbug tied on and proceded to learn how to pitch. After about 1000 or so casts and a few messy backlashes, I'm gonna go to bed tonight knowing one more way to present a lure to those unsuspecting fishies...Just wanted to share that with y'all, I'm very happy and proud of myself, I got pretty good at hitting pretty close to a certain spot (right beside an imaginary tree) on the back of my trailer....Steve
\My Mind is a Library Full of Worthless Information\

Bassinkorea

That's great Steve. I learnt to use baitcasters on a grassy field with no water, practice makes perfect.......now go and find some water and catch some fish with your new technique  ~gf

Quote from: -Steve- on July 18, 2009, 11:13:06 PM
.....and jumped up on the trailer (actually climbed, I can't jump up 4" let alone 4')  ;D .

~roflmao ~roflmao ~roflmao
2020 IBASS Gold - Zone 2 - AOY
2020 IBASS Classic - Winner
2020 IBASS Team Tourney - Winner (with FD)

crash

sounds like your ready.  I had some problems pitching...Mother helped me out a bunch.

-Shawn-

Steve I told you all it take is practice.  ;) ;D

-Steve-

Tanx guys & crash, I need a lake that has fish in it, I could walk to the Great Salt Lake from where I'm parked but there's nothing in it, waaaayyyy to salty to support fish...Steve

-Shawn-

Steve Move your trck to the north end of the lot. You could stand on the trailer and pitch to real trees. Just watch out for the doggy mines.  :surrender:   They should give you some incentive for accuracy.  lo

OCBassman

Thats cool Steve. I taught myself how to pitch in my apartment. I would stand at the end of the hallway and pitch to the kids toys that were laying around. Now that were in a house I usually walk around the backyard and cast to bushes, trees, and under the table. My neighbors still look at me kind of strange but it keeps me in practice.

-Steve-

OCBassman, I got a few strange looks fishing on the back of my trailer too. Some folks just don't understand the fever I guess...  :-\ ...

Shawn, I was on the trailer so I wouldn't "step" in the land mines/lawn sausage...  lo ...Steve

goodrat79

Great to hear your story.  I taught myself how to pitch in the parking lot working midnights at a hotel.  Theres a big fake moose at the end of the parking lot.  I practiced getting between his legs.

RonB

I have and still use a plastic kids pool filled with water to practice pitching into during the off season...this winter I will have it in my barn.
Having a few inches of water to pitch into helps me practice making a soft,quiet presentation instead of pitching hand granades that splash the fish out of the area I'm targeting.

tennispro

I taught myself after watching guys that I was fishing with do it all the time.  I just thought it looked cool.

I sat on my deck with the grill going and a beer.  Grabbed my flippin stick and started to pitch into a 2" hole on a umbrella stand.  After a couple hundred times I got it ;D
ProStaff PARASITE WEIGHTS

Casca

one day you'll pull a "toad" out of some pads or stump and you'll  have your old trailer to thank.
                       regards,
                       Casca

"There's always free cheddar in the mouse trap baby. it's a deal,it's a deal." t.waits

-Steve-

Quote from: goodrat79 on July 31, 2009, 01:26:13 AM
Great to hear your story.  I taught myself how to pitch in the parking lot working midnights at a hotel.  Theres a big fake moose at the end of the parking lot.  I practiced getting between his legs.

Never tried to get between a Mooses legs before...  lo lo lo ...Steve

goodrat79

~roflmao             Yeah, I guess I coulda worded it better.  But its a lifesize moose. 

Between that and the light post twenty feet from it I've gotten prettyaccurate.  I'm working on flipping now.  I've got the machanics of it down.  Just gotta tune in the

acuracy.  Any suggestions?          :help:

borderbasser

Good move Steve..... learning that technique will improve your catch rate.