flipping and pitching rod and reel

Started by 24/7bassin, February 17, 2010, 04:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

24/7bassin

What would be a good flipping/pitching rod and reel to start with that I could get for as cheap as possible?  I am wanting something that I could find at a Wal-mart for cheap.  What type of rod and reel would be best to start with until the funds get right for me to buy a better setup?

Homerthumper

Walmart usually carries some Berkley lightning rods in 7 to 71/2ft. medium heavy action  for around $40, they also carry several baitcast reels for around the same price, some 17 to 25lb. line and your set ~cf
Enjoying God's creation!!!

AaronN

bass pro shop should have some good deals soon during their spring sales. i use their extreme line and love them. during a sale you could probably find one for 50 bucks. I use a 7' 6 heavy. i like their reels too.
Aaron

24/7bassin

I have also never fished with a baitcaster with braided line, is it harder to cast and stuff with braided line than it is with mono?  Or should I not use braid?  I need something that is set up for pitching and flipping and I can leave the best line on there for most situations, that way I can save a few bucks here and there.  I may use that rod for stuff like topwater frogs too, so will braid be good for that as well?

Any other tips or tricks you all could give would be great.  Thanks for all the help.

Homerthumper

Braid casts great and will do just fine for flipping or frogs plus it will last you a whole season. I would suggest 50 to 65lb. green power pro. ~cf

24/7bassin

GREAT!!!!  Does anyone own the Quantum Bill Dance Baitcaster?  I got it from Bass Pro last year for like $60.00 and it is awesome.  It is a 7' rod and is medium heavy.  It has a really good reel on it too, would that be an ok set up for flipping and pitching and frogs?  If so, I am going to buy another, if not, I will get something else.

Joshawa

Personally I think Braided line casts better on a BC than either mono or fluoro. Mono is cheaper to learn on and easier makes it easier to get overruns out but after you get a feel for it it performs great. Just down try to free snags by pulling really hard or straightening hooks. If you do this with braid on a BC the line will dig in and it will make casting a nightmare.
-Josh

**2009 UB Fantasy Baseball Champ**

Homerthumper

If will probably work for either with the braid. In the future if possible try to get you a good stout 7' 6'' to 7' 11'' rod for flipping and frogs