Grubs for Smallmouth Bass

Started by 20inchbass, May 29, 2012, 07:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

20inchbass

Ok so I've been reading up on fishing grubs on jigheads for smallmouth bass. And from what I read, people say they can/will produce lots of smallies, and big ones too. Anyone on here use this technique for lake smallies? I know first-hand that they produce tons of river smallies, but I think this could increase my lake smallie catches. I've heard to use like black or salt & pepper color to make it look like a small minnow or even a crawfish, but would browns and greens like green-pumpkin work too? Let me know if you use grubs for lake smallies and what kind of places you like to target. Thanks everyone!

bassbmx

I use grubs a lot for both smallies and largemouth.  My favorite bait is a Poor Boy's Erie Darter on an 1/8 or 3/16oz jighead. It imitates both baitfish and crayfish.  For smallies I like to target rocky flats and humps. They are good virtually anywhere though.

bigjim5589

I don't fish in lakes for Smallmouths, but have had real good success with grubs. I particularly like those with a wide tail. The various greens like green pumpkin & watermelon have worked very well for me. I also like colors such as smoke, amber & motoroil. I don't use the browns as often, but they work too.

You might also consider some of the twin tail & spider grubs for Smallies. On a stand-up type jig they work very well, and should work well in lakes. Also any grub works well on football or the wider Arky style jigs especially when fishing them on the bottom as these jigs don't roll over easily.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

jocko

Totally agree with Jim,

I fish Zoom Fat Alberts (they are loaded with salt and flat work).  Watermelonseed on a 1/8 oz brewer head. 

In a lake - I'd go up in head size to 1/4 or 3/16.  Fish it around rock piles and boulders. 

You can't go wrong with a skirted twin tail grub on a football head.

I've also been doing really well throwing a Uptons Reaper in Goby on a jig head.  Man the smallies LOVE them!

Also drop shotting a berkley sparkle minnow too. 

bassmaster893

i fish grubs and tubes. usually if they r eating one. they will eat the other. but a grub is almost a finesse bait IMO because its more subtle than a big tube spinning all over the place. try a tube, if its not working. i like greens and browns and salt-pepper you wer talking about. tough bite id throw a grub. but i like tubes because i can catch a ton of fish on one tube  :)
Kal-Valley Member

nuke

I've caught only a few lake smallies but river smallies galore.  I cut my teeth fishing 2" and 3" twister tails and split tails on 1/8 oz jig heads in the Susquehanna River on 6# and 8# test, then "grew up" and began throwing tubes on heavier gear.  Grubs will catch a lot of small fish but WILL catch a few nice ones.  But tubes would be the way I'd go for size.  Of course, grubs are great to help you gain confidence.
Rick

bigjim5589

For whatever reason, there's an attitude among too many folks that Smallmouths need to be fished for with smaller lures. That's not true, and I'm sure that Jocko will agree with me. I also like the 3" grubs, but use them primarily in smaller streams where the fish are not usually large anyway.

I've caught Smallmouths in the MD portion of the Susquehanna River while fishing for Stripers, on 6-8" saltwater type lures, so I know they'll hit bigger lures.  On another site, a fellow just mentioned that he catches some bigger Smallmouths a lot on big Muskie & Pike size lures, while fishing for those species. In a larger river or reservoir, I wouldn't overlook using 4, 5 or even 6" grubs for Smallmouths.

I also agree that tubes are a good bait for Smallies, but again, don't go thinking they always need to be small!  ~shade
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Scott F

The size of baits that you choose often depends on the time of year. I just came back from a two week trip fishing for pre-spawn smallies. If you were fishing large baits on the lake I was on, you were not doing nearly as well as I was fishing smaller baits. Larger baits of exactly the same models and colors just did not produce either in numbers or size. Those pre-spawn smallmouth just prefered smaller baits. It's been exactly the same story for the last 4 years. Later in the year, when prey is larger, larger baits work better. If you are looking for numbers of fish, staying with smaller baits gets you more hits. Big bass will hit small baits, but larger baits will help you increase your average size while generally reduce the number of bites.

bennett_cola

Quote from: bigjim5589 on June 02, 2012, 02:20:16 PM
For whatever reason, there's an attitude among too many folks that Smallmouths need to be fished for with smaller lures. That's not true, and I'm sure that Jocko will agree with me. I also like the 3" grubs, but use them primarily in smaller streams where the fish are not usually large anyway.

I've caught Smallmouths in the MD portion of the Susquehanna River while fishing for Stripers, on 6-8" saltwater type lures, so I know they'll hit bigger lures.  On another site, a fellow just mentioned that he catches some bigger Smallmouths a lot on big Muskie & Pike size lures, while fishing for those species. In a larger river or reservoir, I wouldn't overlook using 4, 5 or even 6" grubs for Smallmouths.

I also agree that tubes are a good bait for Smallies, but again, don't go thinking they always need to be small!  ~shade
I use 4" BPS grubs on 1/8 oz jigs to catch smallies year round. In clear water i use salt and pepper and in stained i use watermelon or pumpkin.
'BASSN'

Steve Reed MFT

My favorite grubs are the Yamamoto Single Tail Grubs. Awesome action, great colors and quite durable. I've also found the regular Keitech Swimbait to be very effective for smallmouth. Rig the bait on a small lead head, arkie or ball head, and just slowly retrieve it. The bait has more action than a grub and gets absolutely crushed by big smallies.
Monster Fishing Tackle - http://www.monsterfishingtackle.com
-Helping make the memories that last a lifetime, by educating our customers on the proper use of the products we offer-

jocko

Quote from: bigjim5589 on June 02, 2012, 02:20:16 PM
For whatever reason, there's an attitude among too many folks that Smallmouths need to be fished for with smaller lures. That's not true, and I'm sure that Jocko will agree with me.

You're right about that Jim.  Totally agree.

I am not much of a fan of the Yamamoto single tail grubs - for only 1 reason.  Durability.  They work very well - but the tails are fragile and are good for 1 fish per bait.  I've had bluegill pop them without getting the hook and suck the tail right off them.  Very frustrating considering the price.  Zoom Fat Alberts (5 inches - though they don't look it), are very durable and full  of salt.  I've had one grub last me all day with more than 50 fish catches.  Seems the more they get chewed - the better they fish! 

bassmaster893

big jim is right, ive caught smallmouth here on my home river on a 10 inch worm with an 11/0 hook. they will eat anything that comes by them!
Kal-Valley Member

20inchbass

Quote from: bassmaster893 on June 08, 2012, 12:18:51 PM
big jim is right, ive caught smallmouth here on my home river on a 10 inch worm with an 11/0 hook. they will eat anything that comes by them!

i wish i fished where you fish!  ;D Smallies here in the lakes I fish are a lot like largemouth in that they are very picky. They are not fiesty and you have to have the perfect presentation to get them to bite or they will just swim away.

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm going to give them a good shot this weekend hopefully.

Smallie_Stalker

I can't even begin to count the number of smallies that I have taken on grubs in lakes. Up here in the northeast the smallies are very aggressive and will take baits of all sizes on a variety of techniques. Here are some of the presentations that have produced best for me and others that I know:

1) Carolina rig a 4" - 8" grub in smoke/black pepper or smoke/red flake. Drag it over rocky areas or the edge where weeds transition to sand.

2) Texas rig the same baits as above and hop them aggressively off of the bottom, letting them fall back on a semi-slack line. Most hits come on the fall so make sure you watch your line.

3) This last presentation is very popular in some areas and virtually unknown in others up here.
    Use a 1/4 ounce ball head jig and rig it with a white single tail grub ( I like the 4" Berkley Powerbait grub). Cast it out and count it down until it reaches bottom (if it makes it that far!) and then lift your rod and just reel slowly and steady all the way back to the boat. If you get no takers, repeat the process but count it down by 2 seconds less. This time use the same steady retrieve but fish it a little faster than before. Continue this process, reducing the count by two but slightly speeding up the retrieve each time until you connect with the fish. Now just count down to the depth you caught that fish on and use the same retrieve speed and you should be able to catch quite a few from one small area of the lake. When the action stops move to an area with similar structure/cover and start the process from the beginning.

This is also a great way to locate fish if you are fishing from a boat without electronics.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

HawgPours

Awsome bait in rivers and lakes. I pour a 3" for myself that works great.Has ribs like PourBoys and a paddle tail.Most grubs are soft and the smallies really hang on to them longer. We rig them on either a 1/6oz. jig head or a Roboworm rebarb hook with an appropriate weight.

bassmaster893

well i wasnt smallie fishing, i was expecting a big largemouth, lol but man when that thing hit that worm, i thought it was a big largy, turns out it was a 16 inch smallie. them things are strait up mean!
Kal-Valley Member