Flippin Hooks

Started by ʇuǝɹq™, April 01, 2009, 10:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ʇuǝɹq™

How many of you have tried the Reaction Innovation BMF hook?  Or any other brand of flippin hook?  What's your opinion on them?  I picked up some and I'm going to give them a shot.  Here is a pic of the BMF.

catt

For every thing up to the size of a Senko

Mustad Straight Shank Denny Brauer Flipping Hook 32807BLNU32 Ultra Point, Nor-Tempered, Straight Shank with 2 Slashes on shank, Round Bend, Small Barb, Black Nickel Finish

Instead of telling God how big your storm is tell the storm how big your God is!

beast96z

Not exactly sure what I would ever use that hook for? :-\

Mike Cork

As many of you might know I am addicted to flipping, so much so that I have to get steroid shots in my elbow periodically just do deal with the repetitive action ~roflmao (probably not just from flipping but all styles in general  :'( they hurt). I have tried many different hooks brands and hook styles.

The Gamakatzu super EWG Super Line hook was the best I had found but now it comes a close second to the Big Mother Flipper (BMF).

Last year I had took Fogy out and showed him how I flip one of our local lakes. He had a blast and has been a flipping fool since. However he was having problems keeping a fish hooked in the deep cover. I told him what hook I use, and he went to experimenting as well and found that he was having great success with the BMF and he told me about it.

Well I am always looking for ways to improve my fishing and gave them a try. I can't break it down for you as to why this hook holds a fish better than the EWG Super Line hook but it does. I would recommend it to anyone. Thanks Fogy for turning me onto it.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ʇuǝɹq™

Thanks Catt and Mike.  I've done a ton of reading about these hooks and like they name, they are a bad mother.  Unfortunatly these hooks are few a far between right now due to the manufacturer not producing enough.  I was wanting the 4/0, but I had to get the 3/0 because thats all they had. 

BIG PAPA

The hook simply is all bite and no bark lo
Seriously it is the best hooking hook I have used. it is not the brand but the extreme bite a straight shank hook has.

Ron Fogelson

Thank you again Mike I just could not get the flipping thing down but one trip with you and man I'm hooked.   lo

Like Mike said I was having issue getting those bigger fish to the boat once I got them to bite, had been using the Owner extra wide gap hook because I've broke two Gamakatzu hooks and got so mad I said I wouldn't use them again.  Anyway I thought maybe a straight shank hook would help me in two ways, one when using a KaRu Football weight I found I had to put the owner much farther down in the plastic than I used to with a normal TX-Rig weight and two with the off set hook shank I felt that in such a fast hard bite and hook set I wasn't getting a chance to use all my force pushing the hook into the fish.

Once I switched to the BMF I've not had any issues, in fact more times than not when I set the hook I'll punch the hook through the gill plate & I have yet to see a bass rip free after I sunk a 3/0 or 4/0 hook stright through the gill plate, heck I need to use a Leatherman just to get it back out.   lo

beast96z the BMF in size 3/0 can be use on a sweet beaver but if you use a KaRu weight and sink the bait keeper in the plastic you will need to insert the hook straight in the back side of the beaver between the tails.  ~shhh

ʇuǝɹq™

Can I get an example what size BMF you use with what trype of bait?  Like I posted, I have the 3/0, but it looks like it might be kind of small? 

Mike Cork

I use mostly a 4/0 in just about everything I flip with... Beavers and brush hogs. I have tried the 5/0 but doesn't seem to perform any better.

Cork's Reel Service

ʇuǝɹq™

Cool, I'll have to order some 4/0's off the internet.  So they 5/0's arent to big to use with beavers or brush hogs?

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: ʇuǝɹq™ on April 02, 2009, 02:27:20 PM
Cool, I'll have to order some 4/0's off the internet.  So they 5/0's arent to big to use with beavers or brush hogs?

I use the 4/0 90% of the time, the 3/0 I like for sweet beavers but use the 4/0 for everything else.

Crigger Craw

that must be one good hook have never had any problem with the gamakatsu superline hooks ever before and i too and a flipping fool.   IMO you can not beat the superline so it is pretty impressive what you guys have to say about the other hook..............

iClass

Man, Y'all need to warn someone when the "Bait Monkey" is around!    ~shade

Just googled BMF.... lets see, 3/0 for sweet beaver...4/0 for brush hogs...

;D

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Crigger Craw on April 02, 2009, 07:32:19 PM
that must be one good hook have never had any problem with the gamakatsu superline hooks ever before and i too and a flipping fool.   IMO you can not beat the superline so it is pretty impressive what you guys have to say about the other hook..............

Not knocking any other hook out there, just saying that when I set the hook and it goes right through the gill plate that fish isn't going any other place than the boat!   lo

Crigger Craw

you got that right Fogy that is where you need to get em that there or right between the eyes..........i just have never looked for any other flipping hook................first ive heard of that hook but like i said if mike feels its better then the superline it has to be a great hook ............  Cause i love the superlines might have to take a look at that hook and find out more about it

-Shawn-

I have been hearing about the BMF for a while.   Ithought the gammy superline couldn't be beat. But after loosing 4 good fish in a row at the bend on a flipping bite,  I am definately willing to give them a shot.

Do any of our sponsors carry them?  :-\

Crigger Craw

Fogy will prolly know the answer to that one.........that sucks that you lost those fish  ~b~ ~b~  Hope my superlines dont start to betray me  ~sweat

Ron Fogelson

No not that I know of, I've checked a few times and end up getting mine at Travis.

Crigger Craw

Gabby

Travis Marine is a business here in Shreveport/Bossier.  They have a bait/tackle shop.

Ron Fogelson

Quote from: Crigger Craw on April 02, 2009, 08:52:57 PM
what is Travis

Oh, sorry about that Gabby is right it's a local store.

-Shawn-

Quote from: Fogy on April 02, 2009, 08:38:27 PM
No not that I know of, I've checked a few times and end up getting mine at Travis.

That is the one on texas street isn't it?

Do they have room for a big truck in there?  :-* ;D

Mike Cork

Everyone, if the bait monkey is riding you hard don't forget to check out our sponsors before you buy them elsewhere ;) I am pretty sure I seen them on Monsters site and BTD  ~c~ And Delo's carries a bunch of stuff as well :-*

Cork's Reel Service

-Shawn-

If monster carries them that would be alot better for me.  I looked on Delo's and brent doesn't have a large hook selection...  I will check monster again , Just in case I missed them.

mlakrid

Fogy,

Since you use Owner Hooks, or did I guess... have you tried the straight shank owners or the widegap straight shank? Seems extremely similar to me...

I have tried many other hooks, and qualitywise no other hooks come very close for me...

Thanks!

Mike A!
A Bad day on the water is still better than the best day at work!!@!!